XIV

Lena's POV

I don't know how long I've been here, days, maybe weeks, maybe months. All I know is that I want to be with Roman again. Safe, warm, loved. I miss him terribly, I feel my wolf weaken at his absence, and it's making it harder for me to fight back.

The beatings come once or twice a day. I can't stop it, I've tried. The more I resist, the more pain it brings me. They want me weak and helpless, they want it to hurt Roman more. They want to destroy him before he's dead. They want to see him plead, to see him beg on his knees, they want to feel superior.

"He's coming."

I lift my head weakly, the lamp illuminates only part of the man's face. I growl, "you will not defeat him."

"Oh, we will, just watch and see," he says.

"He will not let you win, he's stronger than you think," I snap, pulling myself on to my feet, walking to the cell door.

"I've heard. You have so much confidence in your alpha, Lena. Does he really deserve it?"

"You better give up now, rogue, before it's too late," I warn. "Or you will suffer the consequence."

"So much strength you posses. Maybe I won't kill you, maybe I'll kill him and take you as my Luna," he says, touching my face through the bars.

I jerk away, snarling at him, "I'll kill you if you touch me."

"Feisty, I like it. No wonder Roman's so smitten with you," he states, stepping back. "Don't worry, pup, you'll be out of your kennel soon."

I bare my teeth at him and he chuckles, walking away, taking the precious light with him.

"Some mate you have," a feminine voice says after the man disappears.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask into the dark.

"He's the ruler over all packs. Must be a job to be his Luna," they reply.

"It's not, really," I answer. "Roman's a good alpha. He's made some mistakes but he's changed."

The voice laughs, "good, maybe he can get me out of here, too."

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Caroline," They answer.

"How long have you been here?" I question.

"I don't know. All I know is that I was put in here when I was fifteen," she replies.

"Well, I'll make sure to get you out of here, too," I state.

Howls sound from outside, and my heart jumps in happiness.

A man walks into the cells, unlocking mine and yanking my by the arm. I growl at him, but he keeps pulling me. We walk up the stairs and outside. I wince at the sudden brightness, barely able to keep my eyes open.

"On your knees, mutt," he orders, shoving me down.

He ties my to something making me unable to move. A snarl causes everyone to silence, and I open my eyes a little more.

My mate walks towards me, but my captor moves between us.

"Welcome, Alpha. I'd advise you to stay where you are, or she'll die," the man says.