Promposals

I'm having a bad day. So I thought I would make your day better by giving you guys a chapter.

•Not edited•
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you excited for prom?" My mom asked and I shook my head.

"I'm not going to prom." I told her and she looked up from her laptop.

"What do you mean? You love proms." She frowned.

I sort of like proms.

"I'm just not feeling it this year. So I'll just stay at home and watch it on everyone's snapchat story." I told her and she frowned.

"Snap what?"

"Don't worry about it." I waved off.

"Is it because of Jason? Because you don't need a man to go to prom. I went solo." She told me and I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Okay, no I didn't, but I would've and I think you should too." She nodded and I gave her a smile.

"I'm not going to prom just because I don't have a date. I'm not going to prom because.." I began but I drifted off.

"Okay, so maybe it is a little because of that but it isn't entirely." I confessed.

"You are a Manning woman. You do not need a man to define you." She said and I smiled.

"I know." I told her. "I just don't want to go." I told her.

"I think you should go. But I'll respect your wishes." She nodded. "Although I'd respect them more if you went but it's fine." She muttered and I laughed.

***

"Dot forget your prom tickets." A student smiled at me and I rolled my eyes as I made my way into the classroom for the council meeting.

"If I hear one more 'buy your ticket' I'm going to punch someone." Adam groaned and I looked straight at him.

"Adam, don't forget to buy your prom ticket." I told him and he glared at me.

I gave him a small smile before turning my attention to Mrs. Carter.

The meeting went by fairly quickly. We touched point on what was going to happen at prom with King and Queen and what was going to happen at After Prom. Once that was handled, we moved briefly onto what would be happening at graduation and that was the entire meeting.

"See you guys at prom, and for the ones that are also on prom committee, see you Friday for the field trip." Mrs. Carter told us as we walked out of the meeting.

"I should've joined prom committee. An entire day out of school, to go decorate." I heard Amber said to Jason as I walked behind them.

"You should've, I could use a day off from you." Jason replied and I stifled a laugh while Amber looked at him in shock.

"I'm kidding." He replied, trying to hold in his laugh.

"You are such a jerk." Amber scoffed before walking away.

"It was a joke Amber." Jason called after her but she ignored him.

I kept my head down and used my hand to hide my smile.

"Some people just can't take a joke." Jason said to himself, but I think it was directed at me.

Walking into the classroom, I made my way over to a smiling Katie with a beautiful peonies on her table.