Tears Over Wine

The bell rang, indicating the end of first period and I cleared my things off of the library table. Glancing at the empty chair in front of me, I continued to pack my things and made my way towards Mr. Pilot.

"Hey best friend." Maddie bumped me as we walked in and I bumped her back.

"How are you feeling?"

"Well, Jason didn't show up to our tutoring sessions, so not so good." I replied before taking my seat.

"I'm sorry." She sighed and I shrugged.

"It isn't your fault."

The classroom filled up and right before the bell rang, Jason walked in.

"You were almost late Mr. McCall." Mr. Pilot scolded.

"But I wasn't." Jason shrugged before taking his seat.

While successfully avoiding eye contact with me, he took out his history things and focus on the front of the class.

The entire fifty minutes of Mr. Pilot talking our ears off was filled to the brim with tension.

Jason didn't acknowledge me once. Tyler and Adam aren't even looking my way, which tells me that Jason or the girls probably filled them in.

The second the bell rang, I was the first one out of the class.

*

"Aren't you going in?" Maddie asked me as I stood outside the cafeteria and I shook my head no.

"Aren't you hungry? It's Meatball Monday." She informed me and I rolled my eyes. "Everyone loves some good meaty balls." She added and I let out a sigh.

"You were suppose to make a joke." She sighed and I shrugged.

"Case come on." She added after a few more seconds and I turned to face her.

"I think I'm going to eat in the library today. I have to start on this chemistry homework anyways." I told her as I started walking away.

"You don't have food and you're not allowed to eat in the library." She shouted after me.

Instead of answering, I just waved at her and continued to walk.

Once I slipped into the library quietly, I walked towards the back to sit at my usual table.

But it was occupied by Christopher Danes.

Avoiding eye contact with him, I made my way to the other side of the library and sat down.

I took out my homework and as I was contemplating dropping out of school for the third time today, the library door opened and Maddie walked in.

Letting out a sigh, I watched her scan the library until she found me and she made her way towards me.

"I'm not leaving you alone." She huffed before taking a seat in front of me.

"I want to be alone." I replied.

"Well, you can be alone with me here." She nodded as she took out a Nutella and go cup and a water bottle from her backpack and handing it to me.

"Thank you." I nodded before returning to my homework.

"This'll all blow over soon. You guys will work this out." She comforted.

"I'm suppose to be alone." I reminded without taking my eyes off my work.