TWENTY SEVEN

[ xxvii

[ xxvii. CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN ]

"It's been one day since James Verona, Alex's father's body was found, and the grizzly reality on how he died is settling in. That sort of grief is a tricky thing. You don't know what to feel. Should you be furious? Should you be frightened? Should you be sad? It can swallow you up or weigh you down or ignite a fire inside you. When murder hits this close to home... it makes you see the world a new way. People too, even the ones you trust start to look a little different. Because, when everyone is a suspect, there is no innocence."

Alex Verona yawns, waking up seeing Jake Fitzgerald by her side sleeping peacefully. A small smile crept on her face, then slowly faded as she realizes her father is gone.

She walks towards her bathroom, looking at the ground while doing until she glances up at the mirror. Her eyes widen seeing 'killer' written with blood on her mirror, blood splattered all over the mirror. She shook her head in disbelief, shocked, muttering to herself. "No, no... this can't be happening."

She felt her phone vibrate, seeing it was a text from UNKNOWN.

Killer... not so much of a saviour huh? You couldn't save your own father.

She read the text over and over and huffs. Replying to the UNKNOWN person who was mostly likely Piper's accomplice.

Fuck you.

She glances up at the mirror, staring at it coldly. "Not this time. I will not be the victim." she told herself as she punches the mirror, which had resulted many cuts on her fist. Jake Fitzgerald wakes up after hearing the shatter of glass.

"Alex! What happened?" Jake eyes widen at the sight of Alex's bloody hand. "Someone wrote killer with blood on my mirror!" she exclaims as she grabs a towel, wrapping it around her right hand. Jake furrowed his eyebrows as he saw nothing written on the mirror.

"Alex, the only blood I see is from your hand there's nothing on the cracked mirror." Jake told her while Alex laughed at herself. "I'm officially losing my mind." she mutters to herself. Jake inspects her cuts, as he got tweezers pulling out the obvious glass, while the Verona girl flinches.

"I would be worried if you were actually fine, but you need to check out your hand incase for glass I've missed." Jake told her as he puts down the tweezers by the bathroom counter. Alex sat there, looking down at the ground as she runs through the plan with Brooke one more time.

Alex Verona began to curl her hair, the way she used to it three years ago. The long soft curls that bounced whenever her heels clicked. By the time she was finished, she just stares blankly at the mess she had made earlier.

"You okay?' Jake asks as he tilted his head to the side, as he notices Alex was staring at the ground. Her eyes darted towards Jake Fitzgerald as she licks her lips. "You want the truth or the bullshit lie?" she asks, staring blankly as herself as she saw her reflection through one of the pieces of the broken glass.