Chapter Seven

The alleyway smelt of rotten food and mould. It was colder and darker back here too, away from the streets and hidden away from people who might have passed by. The bald man slowly drew his gun out from the hoster, I think he did that for some sort of dramatic effect to scare us. Dallas didn't look scared, no, he looked more confident and cocky as ever. 

"Linderman doesn't like waiting Dallas," the bald man continued. 

"And I don't like being followed," Dallas shot back. "I told you he'll get the supply soon."

"That's not good enough, he needs the supply now. Tonight at least." 

"Forget it, I don't work for Linderman anymore," Dallas said. He turned slightly and pushed me ahead of him as he walked behind me out of the alleyway. Dad had always said never to turn your back on someone with a gun. I think it was common sense as well. 

I heard the little click f the gun. I knew what it sounded like because I could always hear Nathanel and dad using the guns at the back of our old house for target practise. I had come use to the sound of a gun, ready to explode. 

I turned quickly and that's when I saw that the bald man had the gun held high at Dallas's back. Dallas turned too, but it was too late. I saw the bullet come straight to Dallas and that was when I pushed Dallas aside, harder than I thought I could push someone. I think it was the adreneline, because I waited until I could feel the bullet miss Dallas and come straight into my stomach. 

I cried out in pain as I fell to the floor. Blood stained all over my white shirt and not to mention my favorite jacket. Dallas on the other hand moved with super quick speed, and was now standing in front of the bald man. He threw one punch to the mans gut and then pounded his knee into the mans face. That was all I saw as everything went black. It was blurry, but I did also remember seeing Dallas look down at me with those sharp eyes. 

My eyes flew open as I sat up and gasped for air. My back was on the cool brick wall of the alleyway and Dallas beside me. Watching me with some sort of amazement. His eyes were now on my stomach. I too looked down to see that my shirt was ripped and stained with blood, yet the bullet and the wound was gone.

"What the hell are you?" He said as he faced me. I tried to stand up, but failed and came back to my sitting position by the wall. I tried again, but this time Dallas helped me, but not long after that he stepped back as I was standing on my own. 

I looked around the dingy alleyway for the man and that's when I saw him. The bald man was laying dead by the trash cans. A knife wound on his heart and black goo coming out of his nose and mouth. I'd seen things like this before. The first time was when I was 6 and one of them came to our house. Mother hid me in the closet and I watched as she fought him. I watched as his human eyes turned coal black and I knew he was no longer a human...but a demon. 

"He was a demon," I whispered mostly to myself. 

"And your a hunter," Dallas said which made me so shocked, I quickly looked up to face him. 

"How did you know?" I asked. 

"Carson, everyone non human knows and fears that name." 

"So what does that make you?" 

He smirked down at me, "Wouldn't you like to know." 

I grabbed his cold well muscled arm and looked up at him. "Don't tell anyone," I said. "Please don't tell anyone about me." 

Dallas looked at me, then at my hands on his arm before he nod once. "You should get cleaned up." 

I looked down again and saw that my stomach was visible and the air had gotten cold, I couldn't stop myself from shivering.