The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Twenty Three

. If someone asked me yesterday what the worst night of my life was; I'd say the night I had to come home to an empty house after my parents died. Only the house is want empty. It was filled with everything. Everything except the two people that made it a home. After that, I hadn't really felt much. I thought nothing could amount to the emptiness I felt then.

Until tonight.

•1 day earlier•
Wearing this felt right. It felt like I had my mother with me and as long as I had her, I convinced myself that I could get through prom night. As the day got closer my doubts got bigger and I had already told everyone that I was going. Lily kept chatting about how she was so excited to take pictures of her girls. How was I supposed to ruin that for her?

And even though Aiden had asked me to prom I knew he really didn't want to go. At least he'd have Eli and the rest of the guys to keep him company while Kelsey stole me away to dance. Jason was going with some random girl from a grade below and Dylan was as he said it, "Riding Solo,"

"You look absolutely gorgeous Alison!" My best friend bounced on her toes as she saw me in my dress. I decided to just wear my hair down in loose curls. Not wanting to do a fancy hairstyle like Kelsey and Hailey.

Kelsey threw her arms around me for a suffocating hug. Behind her Hailey peeked around the bedroom door. Her hair was curled and pulled into a top bun with strands falling around her face. Her blue dress fell gracefully to the floor, hugging her hips perfectly.

Our eyes caught as she grinned.

"You are so beautiful." Kelsey's arms were replaced with Hailey's as she embraced me.

I pulled back to look at myself in the mirror.

The girl looking back at was not me. This girl looked alive. She looked normal. Like Hailey and Kelsey. My hands ran down my dress from my stomach to my hips.

"Do you think Aiden will like it."

"You are going to leave him speechless Alison." Hailey gave my shoulders a squeeze. Kelsey nodded agreeing behind her.

"Now, come on; mom is waiting for pictures."

"Oh, David, look how beautiful our girls are." Lily wiped her tears while David took pictures for her.

"Don't cry." I pulled Lily in for a hug.

"Your mom would be so proud to have such a beautiful daughter," Lily held my hands while tears fell down her cheeks. Causing my own to form. "You look just like her. I just wish she could see you on this day. And your dad;" she let out a chuckle.

"Your dad would have a field day with Aiden. I know as soon as he pulled up to to get you, your dad would give him a speech." I didn't want to ruin what little makeup I had with my tears but Lily's words made me choke up.

"I may not be your real dad but I love you as my own. And I know my words will never mean as much as your fathers would have, but I just want you to know that you are absolutely beautiful and if Aiden does anything to ruin that smile; well I'll do what your dad would have done." David cupped my chin and wiped my tears like my dad did when I was a kid.

I looked at the two people in front of me. They may not be my biological parents but they were my mom and dad. My real parents were everything to me and they could never be replaced but having Lily and David to love me as much as my mom and dad did, it meant the world to me. And I know if my parents were still alive they would love lily and David so much more for it.

"I love you guys." I pulled them both in for a hug. My eyes drifted yo to the sky where the sun gleamed brightly down on us.

I wish you guys were here.

"Ali?" For a moment I thought I heard my dads voice calling he by my childhood nickname, but as I pulled away and turned around- Aiden stood in a tuxedo with a corsage in his right hand.

Butterflies swarmed my belly as we took in each other. His eyes searched my own before he roamed over every inch of my body. A blush warmed my cheeks as Aiden checked me out in front of my family.

I walked towards him and as we got closer he closed the distance with a kiss. "You look like an angel." He dipped in for another kiss. "Absolutely fucking perfect." He kept his curse word silent so that David wouldn't have to leave Lily's side.

"Smile kids!" We turned to lily right as she snapped a picture. As I turned back to Aiden I realized he had never turned his head away from me, instead he watched me with a look that reminded me of how my dad used to look at my mom.

If I wasn't a fool I'd have thought Aiden Parker could be in love with me.

Lily took what seemed like a thousand pictures before we all headed to the dance.

"Come dance with me!" Kelsey jerked my away from Aiden's grasp and onto the dance floor. The end of a pop song was playing and as it came to a stop a slow song took its place. Kelsey laughed and pulled me in right with one arm around my waist and her free hand in mine.

We spun in circles, laughing every second and at one point she attempted to dip me. Which resulted in me almost falling with her on top of me. "I'm so glad you came tonight. This would have been shit without my best friend." I smiled back at her.

"Let's dance kel!" Eli snuck up behind Kelsey, pulling her back into his abdomen before spinning her around to face him.

"Go dance with your bad boy!" Kelsey nodded towards Aiden as she let Eli lead her away.

"I thought she'd never let go of you." Aiden pulled me into his arms. "I had to send Eli to distract her." I let out a giggle which he matched with a smile.

"I love hearing you laugh Ali." I placed a kiss on his lips and then together we peered at all the couples dancing, including our best friends.

"Should we join them?"

"Are you asking me to dance, Aiden Parker?" I raised my brow.

"Will you dance with me, Alison Kane?" He held out his hand like a gentleman.

"I'd love to." I did a small curtesy causing him to chuckle, which was music to my ears.

He led me into the dance floor.

I followed his lead and was surprised with how good he was. As he held me close I wondered who taught Aiden Parker how to dance.

"You're eyes are enchanting." Our faces were inches apart.

"You're beautiful in every way," His breath faltered as he cut himself off.

"And?"

"Too beautiful for me. I don't deserve you Ali." He spoke with guilt.

"Hey," I cupped his jaw with my small hands, "I don't care okay? I don't care. I love you Aiden. Nothing will change that."

He stayed silent.

"I mean it.

He pulled my hands away from his face and held them between us. "I love you Ali."
••••••

"••••••