Prologue

Autumn. It was the season that snuck in after the long and toasty summer months, and then it was blown away by the frigid winter air. It was also, however, a time of late maturity. A time in the development of something that follows it's vigorously successful phase, just before declining into something entirely imaginary and, well, utterly absent. New York City's autumnal season was something beautiful. Something worth seeing with one's own eye. It was bustling, when was it not bustling? But the bustling mixed in with the fall hues of orange and red and yellow, the seasonally warmer attire beginning to overtake the light fabrics, the clothes that had almost been too much for the previously warmer days. It was the mood in general. The heat and humidity were dying down, the city's occupants were just simply happy. It was a time for new beginnings and realer smiles. Though the foliage was well on its way to shriveling up and falling away, new things and new feelings—new lives were all blossoming, and love...love was stronger than it had been only days before. Summer was over. Life began again, the holiday ended and so did the empty romances, the flings that just weren't strong enough to make it through the short-lived season. Anything and everything was possible, and well, as you'll soon be able to tell, some people took advantage of that.