In Dreams (You Will Lose Your Heartache)

Start from the beginning

"How do dream physics even work?" the boy chuckled. He stood up from the steps and made his way down.

Dan watched him stand under the stars. He looked pretty.

"Are you coming?" he called from the ground.

"Yeah, I suppose so," Dan said. He wiped his jeans off as he made his way down the stairs. He stopped when he stood a couple feet away from the boy. "Where are we anyway?"

"We are at the farm my grandparents lived in," the boy said. He began walking across the field without looking to see if Dan was following.

"Why here?" Dan said as the came to the middle of corn crops.

"Isn't it obvious? My grandparents died here in a fire 4 years ago," he said, shaking his head. He sat down in the dirt and took a handful, letting it fall through his fingers. "My dog also died," he whispered, more to himself than to Dan.

"I'm sorry," Dan said, sitting down next to him.

"Don't be."

"So, you're my soulmate then?" Dan said, looking at the boy's knee.

"Guess so," he said.

Dan nodded and looked out into the field. There was sliver of light at the horizon, the sun preparing to come up. The boy saw it too and smiled.

"My alarm will be going off soon," he said. He looked over at Dan and placed his hand on his shoulder. "I'll see you tonight, maybe?"

"Yeah," Dan said. "Maybe."

They watched at the sun appeared across the sky and then all at once, the dream ended.

Dan woke up 5 minutes before his alarm went off. He unplugged his phone from his charger and held it close to his face as he cleared his notifications that had piled up over the night. The night's events hadn't yet sunk in. Soon though, all he could think about was the pretty boy with black hair, and striking blue eyes.

*******

During his morning shower, Phil had begun crying. They weren't the type of sobs from when he first learned his family members had passed. These tears were more silent, and they didn't shake his whole body.

He sat down in the the tub while he finished up washing himself. He wasn't in the mood to continue the cleaning process. The water eventually washed away what little soap he had lathered on, yet he remained in the shower. When the water turned cold, Phil decided it was a good time to get up.

He turned off the water with his quickly numbing fingers, and wrapped his slender body in a huge fluffy towel. The family he was staying with was kind enough to let him pick it out.

He hadn't told the boy the whole story of the farm. His family was staying with his grandparents for the summer when one day, they set a stew to cook overnight, and someone forgot to turn the stove on low. By 2am, the entire estate was in flames. Everyone had died, his mom, dad, older brother, his grandma and grandpa, and his dog. Phil was the only survivor.

A bang on the door made him jump, effectively pulling him from his thoughts

"Phiiiiil," a small voice whined, "mummy says we have to go to school now."

"I'm coming Ellie," Phil said through the door as he pulled his shirt over his wet hair.

He rushed out and grabbed his bag and a banana, and made his way to the car.

"Good morning Phil," his foster mum's voice was light and chirpy. She smiled at him through the rearview mirror and started backing out of the driveway.