CHAPTER 22

- KERRY'S POV

Chris, Blake, Zahra and I were sat in the car on the way to Chris' Mom, Joyce's, house. I was looking at Chris. His body had started to tense up ever since he'd sat down in the driver's seat, his hands were firmly gripping the wheel - completely out of his usual, laid back character - and his cold stare could have frozen the entire road over. He looked anxious; almost as if he didn't want to visit his Mom.

"How long have we got left until we get there?" I asked him.

He didn't respond or move. It was like his own stare had now frozen him.

"CHRIS?"

"Sorry," he said quietly, making my shouting sound petty. "What you saying?"

"How much longer have we got on the road?"

"A few more minutes."

His lips closed slowly and then stuck shut. Superglue.

We remained in silence until we reached the house.

"Chris, are you OK?" I said once the car's engine stopped. "You should have said before if you didn't want to come here."

I looked up at the house. Chris had told me about this house one time when we were in Europe - he'd bought it for Joyce a couple of years ago and it had cost two million dollars. I could see why; it was huge.

"Who said anything about not wanting to come here? I didn't," he snapped, "so don't fucking start screaming when there's no damn need to."

I ignored him because he was clearly upset about something. I got out of the car and got Blake while Chris got Zahra.

"Hi!" Joyce greeted us as she walked out of the front door. Her eyes then turned to Blake and Zahra. "Oh my..."

She ushered us out of the cold and into the house. A man, who was trying to smile welcomingly but with little success, was stood at the front door. Chris had never mentioned him before so I didn't even know who he was - which was starting to explain why Chris had been strange on the drive over here.

"Kerry, this is Simon," Joyce introduced me to the man.

"Pleased to meet you," I said to him.

He looked down at the floor. "Likewise."

I turned to Chris, who was also admiring the ground. I sighed as Joyce took us to the living room. Chris and I sat on one of the couches, Simon sat on the furthest one away from us and Joyce sat on the next couch to our's.

"Can I be really rude and ask to hold one of them?" Joyce smiled cheerfully.

"Sure," I replied, "Zahra or Blake?"

"Either."

I got up and passed her Blake, sitting back down again as soon as I realised Simon was staring at Chris in an extremely peculiar way. I really wanted someone to pause the scene and elaborate for me because I didn't really understand what was going on between Simon and Chris. I didn't even know who Simon was in relation to Joyce.

Blake was still sleepy and was acting half dead.

Joyce's motherly instincts kicked in. "This little one's tired. Probably a good idea to put Blake back in the carrier."

I nodded, obeying her instruction. "Do you want Zahra instead?"

"Yes, please," she responded.

She took Zahra from me and I sat back down again next to Chris. My hand automatically reached for his and he clutched it tightly. I then rested my head on his firm shoulder, which relaxed soon after my touch. Joyce was trying to play 'peek a boo' with Zahra but Zahra was too young to interact back with her. Simon seemed to be in his own bubble.

"How was giving birth?" Joyce asked me once she realised that Zahra was not interested in peek a boo. "It's tough, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it completely drained my energy. I didn't realise it was going to be like it was."

"I was shocked by that too. Luckily, I just did it twice. I don't know how the mothers to five kids or whatever do it."

"Come on, Kerry. Let's go," Chris said out of the blue. He got up and took Zahra from Joyce.

"Chris, baby, wait -" Joyce began.

"No. We going now. I ain't sitting there while he's there any longer."

I had no choice but to pick Blake's carrier up and follow Chris back to the car.

"I'm sorry," I whispered to Joyce as we both walked to the front door.

"It's fine. Not your fault anyway. As you can tell, Chris hasn't taken a liking to Simon yet."

I gave her a little wave and then left. Chris had already put Zahra in and was sat in the driver's seat with his head in his hands. I fastened Blake up and got in the car.

"We ain't going there again 'til he gone," Chris stated as he started the ignition and drove away.

"What's the deal between you two?" I questioned.

He glanced over at me. "You ain't worked it out?"

I shook my head.

"He my Mom's partner. Complete dickshit if you ask me."

I didn't get it. "Why don't you have a good relationship with him?"

"He one of those people whose day only consists of doing a shit."

I prompted Chris on his language and reminded him that we had two kids in the back.

He continued. "Simon ain't a nice man. Their relationship's one way... my Mom puts her heart, soul and money into it and he ain't even fussed. He thinks he can be a father figure for me but he ain't even remotely inspiring. He ain't even got to say anything for me to sense his cockiness and selfishness and I hate those characteristics in someone."

"Have you tried giving him a chance?"

"Yeah and he don't deserve any more. Trust me."

At least Chris was talking to me and explaining the situation to me now. I just wish he'd spoken up sooner and told me what had been on his mind.

"I love you, Chris."

He began to smile. "I adore you. And don't you ever forget it, Kerry Brown."

"I'm not Mrs. Brown yet," I laughed.

He joined in with my laughter. "You will be soon, my sweet Caroline."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter; your support means everything and encourages me to continue the story. :)

Who else is loving X Files? My favourite is Love 2 Remember and my second favourite is Waiting. I change my mind a lot so my favourites will probably change in a week. ;)