Chapter 2.

With heavy and dripping hesitation, Max pushed hardly against one of the rusty doors, that leads to the inside of the building that the two twins were investigating.

It opened up with a loud squeak and was a bit hard to push. Mark saw how hard Max was trying to open up the door and he rushes up to his side.
They both push hardly on the heavy door with a grunt, before the door finally swings all the way open.

Inside was a dark room, filled with dust and fog collected all around the surface of the walls. Max coughs a bit before wiping his nose with the back of his sleeve of his dark purple jacket.
Max reaches into the pocket of his black shorts and fishes out his flashlight. He flicks the light switch on, which floods the dark room with a small light. Mark does the same, adding more light into the somewhat dim looking room.

Max leads his flashlight slowly up the wall from where he stood and slowly guides it up towards the roof. What awaited above made Max jump out from his own skin.

An old man's body, hung from one single nail from the bottom of his neck into his jaw. Blood dripped down from the gapping hole of his mouth and from the hole in his neck. Flies swam around his dead and decaying body, along with a nasty smell that filled the room.

"Ah, sh-" Max almost screamed, but Mark slapped his hand over his mouth.

"Shut up." Mark said through gritted teeth.
Max groans before Mark removes his hand from his brother's lips.

Max slowly steps away from the body that hung up from the roof, just enough to get it out from sight.

Mark taps his brother's shoulder before Max spun around the face him. Mark put a finger over his mouth before pointing a finger in the direction of what seemed like only darkness.
Max shone his flashlight over the dark area to reveal yet another rusty door - with more wood planks over the top; this time with nails in it.

Mark reached into the pocket of his dark green jacket and pulled out his hammer. He pointed to Max's flashlight and leads his finger to the door, telling him to hold the light still.
Max nods silently and stiffly holds the light in place.

Mark takes a few large steps backwards before vastly lunging towards the door and slashing down on the wood with his hammer.

Just then, the wood planks all smash into small pieces and fall down to the concrete surface.

Max puts a thumbs up at Mark before sticking his flashlight into his mouth - to have his two hands usable - before curving his fingertips across the sides of the rusty door.

Mark sticks the hammer back into his pocket and does the same thing right next to Max, and they both heavily pull onto the rusty door.

It screeches across the concrete floor and fully opens. Max takes a long sigh outward before turning over towards Mark. "Ready?" He whispered.

Mark confidently nodded and they both enter into the next dark room. Except... This room wasn't as dark as the last, for it had a flickering light in the center of the room, hanging from a string.
The twins both slowly enter into the dim lighting room with their footsteps softly echoing through each step.
Max guided his flashlight across the surface ground of the concrete, just to see if there's anything to investigate. Which of course, he found something.

Papers were scattered around the floor, with a bunch of burnt stain marks across the corners of it.

Max snaps his fingers to grab his brother's attention, and Mark jolts his eyes in Max's direction, seeing what he wanted to show him.

They both descend down to the papers level and picked a few of them up. "Scientist arrested for failure of a future invention..." Mark mumbled while switching between four different papers.
"Another scientist... Failed to correct invention..." Mark said again, mumbling through each sentence.

"Are all of them basically the same?" Max asks, leaning over his brother's shoulder.

"Yup...."

Max took some of the papers from his brother and quickly scanned his eyes through each of the newspapers. Scientist arrested... He thought. Failed creation of a famous scientist. Failed to fix invention...

"Do you think all of them were arrested?" Max asks quietly.

Mark nodded before responded, "No, there's no way the police would arrest all of them just for a failed invention..."

"Good point..." Max admitted. "Father failed a few times before he finally got his invention right. The police didn't even say anything to him..."

Mark and Max sat in silence, both trying to figure out what had happened to all of the scientists.

For about ten years, no new inventions have been made by anyone. It had been really odd to them, along with they haven't heard anything from anyone..

In the year 2052, everyone was creating new and creative things...
But now, in 2061, there hasn't been a single invention from that time.

Just as Max was going to point something out, a loud bang was heard. It echoed through the whole building and made Max jump and screech a little.

Mark slowly looks around the room, slowly with his eyes wide and his muscles tense. "What was that...?"

"Heck if I know..." Max groaned. He eventually sighs before starting up to speak again. "Should we check it out?"

"Yeah..." Mark nods, "Come on."

Mark grabs his hammer from off the ground as Max grabs his flashlight as well. Mark moves on ahead as Max stares blankly down the scattered papers.

"Max! Come on..!" Mark shouts from ahead.

Max jumps a little before taking one last look at the papers. "It wouldn't hurt to have a little evidence..." Max said to himself, bending down and scooping up all of the papers up into his hand. He stuck the papers into the pocket of his shorts, (right beside his map), and rushes back towards his brother.