Chapter TwentyEight - Dagger To The Heart

Start from the beginning

The school receptionist lost her life. It gutted me. She didn't deserve to lose her life to some evil, greedy vampires that came here looking for me. But I was able to save a thousand students and members of staff. Ella, Eva, and Ember managed to get everyone out of the school without any problems. Once everyone had left, they locked the doors and sealed every entrance and exit with a spell so no human could use the windows or doors to get in.

When we returned back to the office, Saskia immediately told Tyler about the receptionist. They went off together with Ella to sort the receptionist out. I didn't know what that meant, but I did ask if the family would be notified and that she would have a funeral. The answer was yes and I left it at that. I don't know how her death is going to be explained.

North and Gabriel tried to fuss over me, to see if I was okay when I walked back into the room, but I shook my head and told them to leave me be. Then Eva and Sofia started making arrangements for Hendricks and his family. I didn't pay attention, I was too lost in my thoughts, the words the vampire spoke echoing round and round in my head. I also feel drained and weak, tired, like I could sleep for a solid week.

When Hendricks leaves with Eva, Sofia, Ember, and Skyler to take them to their safe place, I'm left alone with Safire and the guys. My eyes drift over each of them; Safire's shirt is ripped in a few places and her knees and dirtied up. Nathan, Luke and Silas sit on the floor, Mr Blackbourne and Sean stand near the door, while the others stand in various places around the room.

"Sang, are you okay?" Sean asks, pushing off the wall and striding over to me. He crouches down in front of me and places his hand over mine. I draw in a shuddery breath as that familiar tingling takes place and somehow it gives me energy; I feel it slowly traveling around my body. My fingers twitch in response to the unexpected source of energy.

I sigh and it's a sigh of content. "I don't know what you're doing, but that feel great."

"He can sense you're weak, those who have bonded with you can. You used a lot of power out there, power you didn't expect to use so you couldn't get yourself ready for it. You'll feel yourself again in an hour or two, but let him, them, touch you. You'll feel better," Safire says, sitting down in the seat Mr Blackbourne was in not long ago.

"You know a lot about this," I say. "How?"

She smiles and drops down the left side of her shirt. Wrapped around her shoulder is what looks like a tattoo, but I know better than that. It's a mark. "I have my own soul mate, my One."

"Who?" I ask, tilting my head to the side.

"His name is Devon and he's...well, he's a Cupid." I stare at her really hard. She just stares back and I'm not sure if she's twisting my leg right now or being serious. When she just continues to stare back, I finally let myself blink.

A laugh bellows out and I turn my head in Gabriel's direction. "I'm fucking sorry, but I'm sure you just said Cupid."

"I did," Safire smiles. "My One is a Cupid."

I start staring at her again because a Cupid, really? Like wearing nothing but cloth, has wings and flies around with an bow and arrow?

Gabriel's smile falls from his face. "Jesus fucking Christ, you're fucking serious."

"I am," Safire smiles. "Couldn't believe it myself to begin with."

"What did he do? Shoot you in the ass?" Nathan asks, disbelief clear as day in his voice.

"No. It doesn't work like that," Safire replies. "My soul recognised his, like your souls recognise Sang and vice versa." She pauses, giving Nathan an amused look. "And he doesn't have a bow and arrow; it doesn't work like that anymore."

"Where is he now?" I ask, actually intrigued.

"He's around," Safire answers. "I don't like him around when things get heavy with demons like they have here. He stays away unless I call for him."

"What about Sofia and Skyler? So they have a One?" I ask, disappointed that I didn't know about Devon, the Cupid. It brings a smile to my face.

Safire nods her head. "Skyler does; his name is Jamie and he's human. He goes to college in Chicago and she visits every weekend if she can. He knows she's a witch and understands if she can't make it. They're always texting and on the phone the though. As for Sofia, well, she's found hers but they haven't bound their souls yet."

I tilt my head, a frown forming between my brows. "What about Ella and Eva? I mean, you have to have dads."

"Them too." Safire smiles. "Mom is bound with an Elder. He was a guardian angel – like Tyler – but he got...well, promoted – that's the best way of putting it. We don't see dad all that often because he's needed with the other elders but they make it work and so do we."

I just want to know more. I want to know everything, not because I'm curious or intrigued, but because I want to know. They are blood related family after all.

"Eva is bound to a witch; he's a teacher at Magic School."

"Magic school?" Luke repeats.

"Yes. It's the same as this place, just we teach magic to young children and help them expand in their knowledge as they grow older," Safire says.

"Have you been Magic school?" I ask.

"Yes. I left a couple of years ago, but I go back to help out every now and then. You'd still be there if you were....never taken." Her words get me straight in the chest. They probably shouldn't but for a moment, as I listened to Safire tell me about her cousins, aunt and Mom, I was able to forget, just for a little while.

Her words are a reminder of what's just happened, what has happened, and what's going to happen and it's all down to me. I have to kill my father to save the world. An hour ago, I would have said that I'm not a killer, but that's not how it is now and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

A jolt of energy travels through me and I look down, straight into Nathan's serious but concerned blue eyes. His fingers are wrapped gently around mine, giving me energy I'm not sure I need, but will take. "We're here, Peanut," he assures me.

He is. They are. It's all I needed to hear.