"This isn't working out, Char."

Well, he could've softened the blow a little. My heart felt like it was crushed.

"What do you mean?" I said, trying to keep my cool but it was insanely difficult since he was so good at reading me.

"I mean, and this is very hard for me to do, trust me, because I love you—" He said, squeezing the back of his neck as if this was paining him to do.

At least that makes two of us.

"Just say it, Ethan." I spat, losing my patience, wanting to know what had spurred this on. We were doing great.

He exhaled once more and looked up at the sky before looking at me in the eye finally.

"I don't think I can do this anymore. This whole living together, the boyfriend-girlfriend thing isn't working out for me."

It took him nearly two years to realize he didn't want to live with me?

I tried my hardest to keep my tears from falling and he reached to take off my sunglasses. I immediately looked to my left to hide my tears.

"Why?" I whispered, barely recognizing my own voice.

"Because I don't want to be boyfriend-girlfriend anymore." He said, a ridiculously large grin settling on his face that I wished I could slap right off. How inconsiderate was that?

Before I could scream at him for being a jerk, he put his palm over my eyes and turned me around.

"What the heck, Ethan? Let me go!" I shouted, my voice shaking but still strong enough to show how furious I was.

"I don't want the boyfriend-girlfriend thing." He repeated for the hundredth time and I knew that I would be replaying these words forever in my head as I gobbled down some ice-cream and cried my eyes out. It was his fault for opening up the gates to my tears.

"I fucking get it. Now let me go so I can pack up and leave." I said, trying to wriggle out of his grasp.

He refused to loosen his grip and I hated that I wished he wouldn't let go because I liked the feel of his warm hands on me.

"Oh my God! I have to spell everything out for you." He said, clearly exasperated.

"If you sigh one more time, so help me God, I will throw you into the ocean and not look back." I threatened as I tried to remove his hands from my eyes and my waist.

Then, he finally removed his hand and I was grateful for the gift of vision and was about to turn back and possibly punch him in the face before I saw what was in front of me.

A few thousand rose petals were scattered in front of us. Some of them shaped the letter C, some did the letter E and the rest made a large heart in the middle.

Is this what I think it is?

Not even thinking it was possible, my heart started beating even faster than when I had gotten his vague text.

"Is this...?" I said, unable to even get out a sentence.

Ethan grinned his handsome little smile and stepped closer to me, grabbing both of my hands.

"For the millionth time, I don't want the boyfriend-girlfriend thing because I want the husband-wife thing." He said in a low voice and leaned forward so that our noses were almost touching. I leaned in but he took a step backwards.

He got on one knee and let go of one of my hands. Instinctively, I brought up my free hand to my mouth to keep myself from screaming or crying. Probably both.