[MBW]- Chapter 16.

CHAPTER 16 (EDITED)

THE REHEARSAL DINNER came a lot quicker than I had anticipated. It felt like just yesterday Vanessa and I were discussing how the whole wedding would pan out in her and Aiden's apartment.

I had gotten a text from Vanessa a few minutes ago telling me that the make up artist was settled in her room and was ready for me. Unfortunately, I was running late so I had to run to her room in my unattractive flip flops and a dress bag in my hand.

When I knocked, Vicky opened the door seemingly ready in her floral strapless dress and hair curled ever so slightly.

"You look gorgeous, Vick!" I exclaimed and she muttered quick thanks before running off to where the twins were playing with a curling iron.

Once again their room was an absolute mess. How they even managed to navigate from place to another without falling was beyond me.

"Char, you're late!" I heard Vanessa's voice shriek from her ensuite and my eyes widened at her tone. She may have been younger than me but she could be extremely intimidating when she wanted.

"I was caught up doing...something," I replied as I placed my items on the bed.

I bit my lip, resisting the urge to tell her everything that had happened. She had a wedding to worry about and I could just tell her after she was back from her honeymoon and by then this week would be a distant memory clouded with some bad judgments. Or so I hoped.

She scoffed,

"Something? Unless that something involved you losing a million dollars or a limb, I'm your first priority."

"Yes, ma'am!" I laughed before settling on the chair once the lady doing the makeup told me to.

Vanessa's makeup was done and her hair was in progress. She looked a little odd with a full face of makeup but a million clips in her hair as the woman curled her strands. That could also be because she was still glaring at me for being late.

"I'm sorry, Van. It won't happen again." I assured her, in attempts to calm her down.

"Well, duh. I only plan to get married once." She deadpanned before slowly turning to give me a concerned look. From that expression, I could tell she knew something was wrong but she didn't want to poke further.

I sighed and was about to speak again but the woman doing my makeup told me to talk less since it was moving my entire face. I apologized and we spent the next thirty minutes in silence. That may have been the longest half hour of my life.

"Okay, darling, you're done." She finally said and I was far too grateful for those words. My butt was completely numb from having sat in the same position and not having uttered a single word.

I grabbed my dress and rushed to the bathroom to put it on. Yet again, I struggled with the zip but there was no Ethan to help me this time.

Instead of calling anyone over, I reached back to get it up but all I heard was an unfortunate rip. I closed my eyes hoping that it came from outside and not from my dress. However, it did come from my now ripped dress. The dress that I had paid a pretty hefty amount for that couldn't even withstand small movement.

From the mirror, I could see that a small portion of the back was ripped open. It wasn't huge but it was definitely noticeable. And, I'd have much rather died than wear a ripped dress.

I stepped out clutching the back of the dress and Vanessa quickly faced me with a confused frown on her face.

"What happened?"