Chapter Fifteen

Începe de la început

"The goat? Well, yes, I'm sure it died when the District was bombed."

"Oh," is all I answer.

"Do you remember anything else strange?" Plutarch asks.

"What do you mean 'strange'?"

"Memories that don't make sense."

"Well, in the Capitol, some of my memories didn't make sense. But they do now."

"Can you tell me one?"

"What's to tell? Anyone that I was ever confused on had to do with Katniss trying to kill me. I don't know why I was confused on it. It's obvious she was trying to kill me."

"No, no. Peeta. I'll show you what really happened tomorrow," Plutarch says, exiting the room.

What does he mean he'll show me what really happened? I know what my memories show me. They can't be false. They're my memories. My memories. I remember what I saw.

~M:PPOV~

The videos Plutarch has shown me the passed few days don't really make sense. But they couldn't just make them up. I actually loved Katniss at one point? Did she love me? I'm still so confused. I can't tell what is true and what's not. Everything is jumbling in my mind. Everything a twisted mess that I can't tell the difference between.

My thinking is broken by Plutarch entering the room, a TV in tow.

"Another video?" I question. How many more videos could there possibly be?

"Yes, another video," Plutarch says pushing play.

Katniss appears on the screen, singing.

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where they strung up a man they say murdered three.

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where the dead man called out for his love to flee.

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

I can't help but think this song sounds familiar.

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where I told you to run so we'd both be free.

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Wear a necklace of rope, side by side with me.

Stranger things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

The video ends. The screen darkens.

"I've heard that before," I say. I instantly can place the memory in my mind.

"You have? Did Katniss sing it?" Plutarch asks.

"No. Her father. I was six or seven. Her father came to trade at the bakery. I remember I was listening to see if the birds stopped singing. And they did," I say.

"How are you feeling?" Plutarch asks, suddenly.

"I'm fine."

"Good," Plutarch says, grabbing the TV and beginning to leave the room.

"Plutarch," I call out. That's it. No more further discussion.

"Yes, Peeta."

"Can I talk to Haymitch?"

"Well, I'll ask if you can. Is there a reason?" Plutarch asks, a little flustered.

"I need to ask him why he didn't tell me about all this," I say.

"Oh, okay," Plutarch says, turning. He seems disappointed by my reasoning.

He leaves me the room. I have a lot to discuss with Haymitch. I don't know if I can trust him. But I need to figure out what is real and not real. At least some of it. I need to know some of the truth. 

Edited