8- The Dinner

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Miss Febland!" I was startled out of my thoughts to see Miss Castleton making eye contact with me. "Can you repeat today's tasks?"

"Er," I glanced at the board before looking back up at her. "Read three of Sylvia Plath's poems and annotate them. After that, make notes on her style and the themes she includes."

"Good. Make sure you're paying attention." Miss Castleton turned to the whole class. "You may start working."

I scrambled out of my seat and to the front where our books were placed. Sitting back down, I started working before my thoughts could cloud up my focus again. I muted the background noise and ignored Jarrett's attempts to talk to me.

Sylvia Plath had been one of my favourite poets for a very long time. I had started reading her work in Year 7 and I was mesmerised by her use of language to create imagery. A number of her struggles were expressed in her poetry and I just find her story so heart-breakingly beautiful.

My hand started cramping and I set my pen down for a second. I felt slightly overwhelmed by how immersed I was in this task that I decided to have a quick drink, finish off my annotations and try to write. Miss Castleton gave us ten minutes at the end of each lesson to work on our own poetry and I hadn't written a poem in two or three weeks. I didn't realise how much I missed it. I missed pouring all of my emotions into a few stanzas and doing it in an artistic way that could disguise it to the non-analitical eye.

I Love You

I Love You.

Those three words

that hold innocence,

passion, power, commitment.

I Love You.

Reserved for times

when butterflies explode

in your stomach.

I Love You.

My grin widens

My heart thumps

at your words.

I'm finally happy

and then you

ruin it all.

I Love You.

A phrase you

use unsparingly to

the point where

it is meaningless.

i Love You.

Your words ignite

my soul each

morning. They comfort

throughout bad days.

But do you

really mean them?

i love You.

I no longer

believe those words.

You loved me

then, you didn't.