eleven

We were at Ralph's house today. It was Sunday and I didn't have school tomorrow.
Yesterday I heard mum and Ralph arguing for the first time, she was telling him that she didn't want him to drink again and he was telling that he just wanted for her to love him, that he knew that she didn't like him. Just like when mum was arguing with daddy, I just stayed there listening at the stairs and paying attention to any of their moves so they wouldn't discover that I was eavesdropping. The saddest part was that mum didn't say "Ralph I love you" she just said that he was wrong, that what he said wasn't true. That made me sad because I didn't want someone to not love me.
Finally today was starting this new Tv series that everyone has been talking about and I'm on the sofa with mum while Ralph is at the table Playing with the computer and drinking beer.
The show started and only the music got me hooked, it was such a calming sound, it remind me of waves, the sea and even thought I hate beach I couldn't ignore the fact that this warmed my heart and brought peace to my mind. I grew attached to the song and waited until the end of the show to listen again and when it finally happened I was extremely happy however Ralph moved and was about to change channel.
No. No. No.
"Ralph, could you just wait until the music ends?" I asked softly and his answer startled me a little. No, a lot.
"NO! THIS IS MY HOUSE AND I WATCH AND LISTEN WHATEVER I WANT!" Ralph yells and I bring my knees to my chest. He was strange, his eyes were bloodshot, he looked like a bull really irritated and what was even stranger was his mood swings, he was laughing before and laughing hard, everything made him crack and now he was angry and screaming. No one ever talked to me like this and I wasn't used so it scared me a little.
"Eleonor, go to your room so mummy can talk with Ralph ok?" mum asks and I comply.
When I was climbing the stairs I decided that I wanted to listen to their conversation and just stayed eavesdropping again.
"I don't like that you talked with my daughter like that!"
"She needs someone to correct her and to give her some discipline."
"Eleonor has a father to do that" Ralph just laughs at mum's statement.
"She has a worthless excuse of a father!"
This words hurt so much. I'm becoming used to listen everyone around me and this family talking ill about daddy but I hate it and makes me want to say something however I don't have the courage. I'm too weak to talk back.
Mum stays quiet for 5 minutes until I finally hear her voice again.
"Since this is your house, Eleonor and I are leaving." Mum says and I'm beyond shocked.
After a while I hear Ralph chuckling.
"You're wrong dear." He says in a threatening voice. "If you try to leave I'll just lock you in the basement." Did I hear it right? Ralph wouldn't hurt mum right?!
"Oh Ralph, I'm sorry. You know that people tend to say stupid things in the heat of the moment. I didn't mean those things. Now let's sleep." Mum says and I run to my room.
------------------------------------------------
Next day mum had to work and asked me to go with her.
We had breakfast with Ralph's parents but without him since he was asleep.
Mum and I finished and went to the car.
"Eleonor, we're not going to work. We're going home, to grandparents' house." Mum says and I couldn't be happier.
We would run away and Ralph wouldn't keep mum in his basement like he told her.

Ugh... do you know what is worse than Mondays? It's when you have to wake up early on a Saturday.

For god's sake. When the weekends were created, they were meant for only two things, one is partying, the second is sleeping and we all know that the later is the best.

However, George decided that it would be fun to wake me up at 7am on a Saturday morning. Oh, how I wish this could be considered self-defence...

"Did Queen Elizabeth die?" I ask him as I pick my phone up.

"No?" He answers unsure.