Chapter 26 GUILT

Cassy's POV
I am so ignorant. When Emily was leaving, I suddenly realized that Emily had come in a car. Rumes' car.

Which only means that they made up. And it also means that I didn't even notice it.

I am a bad friend. If that wasn't clear before.

But I didn't want to call Emily again. Something is very very wrong with me.

In the last 2 years I have learned to take logical decisions. Rational decisions. This is definitely not happening right now.

I am getting too caught up in this whirlwind of emotions. I need to get out of this. I need to be normal again.

I need to.
***

"Hi Rumes, long time no see?" I said calmly as I opened the door and saw Rumes standing there in all his glory. I noticed things that I never noticed before. That beneath all his expensive cologne, there is a smell to him. That his eyes shine like 2 blue stars. That there is a little scar near his left ear on his perfect face. And, I do all this without guilt, which reminds me that I can't get him again.

He smiled slightly. "Actually, you saw me today before shutting the door on my face."

What do I say to that now?

"I.... Err...."

"No need to apologize, Cassy. You were not in the best of moods. I am here to pick up Emily actually. If you both are done talking?" He says in a low voice glancing behind me hoping to catch a glimpse of Emily.

"She left- like 2 hours ago."

Stumped, Rumes blabbered. "She left. Just like that? She didn't even call me. We had to go to the hospital."

"We were... done talking a little earlier than expected. Speaking of hospitals, how is your father?"

I was hoping to catch up with Mr. Clark one of these days, which I also didn't want to since I didn't want to interrupt in Rumes' life. I was hella confused.

He smirked a little. "He misses you a little too much." his face grew serious again. "You should visit him. He keeps on asking about you."

I nodded awkwardly. He kept on staring at me intensely.

"Well- it was nice meeting you-"

"You are okay, right?" He asked, his blue eyes dark in the shade now that he bent his head to level with mine. His jaw was tight with concern.

"Huh- what do you-?"

"Jason."

Realization dawned on me. "Y-yes. Rumes, shouldn't you be in the hospital? Call Emily. I- I have to go. Thanks for stopping by."

I slowly closed the door again, greatful for the distance between us.

Rumes POV
I wanted to talk to her. Emily was just an excuse. I knew she was at her place. I just...

But she didn't even call me inside.

She doesn't need you.

I shut up the voice in my head, but I couldn't stop it from saying that over and over again.

How do you stop the voice of truth?

***
"Rumes! Christmas is here!" Dad exclaimed pointing at a calender, grinning from ear to ear.

I shook my head, grinning back. "Dad, there are 3 weeks to go."

"It's near enough for me. Plus, I've been enjoying Christmas all the more since the time you gave me a rest from all those god-awful meetings."

I sighed. I know where this was going. Sometimes I wondered why my dad wasn't already a part of a kitty-party group.

"The ball can't happen this year."

My dad looked at me with big, incredulous eyes.

"No. Dad, you and Uncle are already in hospital. How can you expect me to organize a ball in midst of that?"

My dad made a face at me. He held out his fingers. He pointed to his forefinger. "First off, you definitely don't organize the ball. Never have you ever. We don't want some emo themed Gothic world war look to our sweet balls."

"Second," he said holding his middle finger. "me and Edmund can arrive in wheelchairs. No problem."

"Third," he held his ring finger. "It's tradition. Do I seriously need to explain you right now?"

"Fourth-" He held his pinky finger. 

"There is still more?" I interrupted, irate.

"Shush. You and Emily made up... Don't look at me like that. She told Edmund who told me. Seriously that girl is so much more responsible. Things like these, you tell your Dad. Anyway, yes, there will never be a more perfect time for a gala. A celebration." This man was damn excited.

"Alright. But you will call someone to handle all the arrangements."

"Oh. I already have someone in mind." He said, his eyes gleaming.

"Who?"

"Why? Cassandra would be perfect, won't she?"

_______________________________________
Hello there. This is a short one. Shorter than others, anyway. So I decided not to kill off Emily's mom.

I did make the change. I will have to check whether it's been updated or not.

Thank you fellas for reading this story.

Please comment, vote, share and follow.

K R Y S T L E