Chapter 16 EMILY

Rumes' POV

I would have been alone, had it not been for Cassandra. She has been surprisingly kind to me.

Which just made me realize how horrible I was to her when we first met.

I would not be able to repair the damage I did on our first few meetings, but I could apologize.

And this darned attraction might just go away.

My father would be alright. I was so glad. The only thing now bothering me, however, was Emily.

My stupid cousin.

We had always been so close. I never had a sibling, Emily had been the only "real" cousin in my mind, when we were little. The rest of my cousins, I didn't even care.

I talked to Em, shared with Em. I was stupidly open as a teenage boy. She gave me advices, I gave her solutions. The only people I loved more than her were my parents.

All that changed 6 years ago. My mom had a heart disease that made the possibility of a heart attack 10 times more- than it would be for an average normal person.

My mom had not eaten that day, not feeling well. My school had been hosting some sort of event, I don't even remember. Me and father had to go.

Emily had stayed behind to take care of my mother.

I went. After all, what bad could happen in an hour, right? Wrong.

A lot of wrong happened that day. And, I regret my decision of ever leaving.

Em and Mum were talking, when my Mum had this sensation at the back of her throat. Emily thought that she might need water, and left to bring some.

When she returned, my mum was on the floor gasping and clutching her chest. Emily stood at the doorway, paralyzed with fear, the glass dropped of her hand. My mum went suddenly still. She was trying to say something, Emily had said. She couldn't understand what it was.

Emily realized too late, very late what had happened.

When I came home along with my father, paramedics were rushing in and out of our house. In the corner of a room, Emily sat. Tears stroked her face, her eyes stared out into nothing.

I shouted and screamed for somebody to tell me what had happened. And finally, when somebody did, grief and anger overcame me. I never thought that I would ever be that sad. Never.

I didn't believe them. Who would? I laughed at their faces and told them to shut it off.

I ran around the house looking for my Mum. I wish I hadn't; at least my last memory of her would have been a happy one.

There lay her lifeless and pale body, on a stretcher, her eyes closed and she wouldn't wake up even when I repeatedly ask her to.

And so I just sat next to her, hoping this was nightmare that would go away

Next, everything was a blur. The only thing I remembered was lashing out at Emily, screaming and calling her names.

For one month, I couldn't eat or sleep. I heard that Emily was having trouble getting on with her life.

I didn't care at that time. I blamed her for not acting fast enough, not being able to save my mother.

I blamed her.