Chapter 21

I swear I don't mean to always forget to upload sooner on this story.

In order for me to type a chapter for this story, I have to be in a specific mood.

Comment anyway because I love knowing that someone is still reading this story :)

Happy New Year to each and everyone of you

21

The sounds of a heated conversation muffled by a door alerted my worn body out of my late slumber. I also found that I was lying on the couch in the living room with an afghan covering my body. I stayed still in my original position just to focus on who was arguing and what it was about. I had an idea but I just hope I am wrong.

“Look, I get that you are upset but…”the voice sounded like it was Mark speaking

“Upset? I’m beyond upset, I’m furious! I mean, not only did I find you cuddled up with her but now you’re trying to take her side out of some fucked up reason that you cannot even tell me?” I deduced as much that the speaker was Veronica.

“As I’ve said before, that was a harmless sleep that we fell into last night…”Mark reiterated.

“Whatever, I’m leaving!”

“You can’t leave Ronnie the local weather channel had set up road blocks all over the mountain due to last night’s blizzard.” A new voice that I recognized as Drew tried reasoning out with Veronica.

“Watch me. Come on, Mark drive me back home. Now.” she replied stubbornly.

“Are you stupid woman or just plain deaf? The roads are blocked. Un-drivable. Closed. Unless you’re planning on walking home then be our guest.” The newest voice told me Julie was also in the other room.

Now that I think about it, their voices are coming from the kitchen. As I listened more of the constant bickering from my companions, I started getting a headache just thinking why on earth are these people bickering at such an early time in the day? Then, it dawned on me – last night’s events – Ryan catching me kissing Mark and afterwards, him walking out of the cabin.

Immediately, I sat up making my headache worse. I took out my phone from my pocket and when I looked on the screen, I found it blank. No missed calls, no text messages. I felt the color drain from my face when I realized that I have no cell signal.

Standing abruptly wasn’t the smartest thing I’ve ever done because I suddenly felt disoriented from my swift action. I fell back on the couch and took a few deep breaths before attempting to stand up once more. I was successful the second time and it didn’t take me long to get to the kitchen where the antagonistic bickering became a full-fledge screaming match.

I stood in the doorway without being noticed by anyone. It was Veronica and Julie who were nose to nose with each other. And if I was not mistaken, one more insult from Veronica Julie will deck her right on the face. Drew was standing behind Veronica while Dave and Jules are behind Julie. Mark stood in between the two girls from the sidelines like he’s a referee of some sort. All the while, Millie, Tony, Arnie and Bastian are turned away from the threat of a fight tending to making breakfast for all of us.

“Tell her Mark tell her she’s a fucking lying bitch!” Veronica directed as she pointed her glare towards Mark.

Mark was quiet for quite some time and I don’t know what’s going through his brain because he has this unreadable look on his face. I tuned out most of their argument and I only caught snippets of the whole issue. Veronica found Mark with me sharing the couch this morning. When Mark opened his mouth to respond, a voice next to me broke the tensed atmosphere directing everyone’s attention to where I stood.

“Hey guys, what’s for breakfast?” Anne asked nonchalantly as she placed a hand in the middle of my back urging me to walk forward with her.

I looked at her in surprise. When and how long has she been standing next to me in the doorway of the kitchen? I gave her a questioning look when she took a sidelong glance my way. She winked in response as she gave me a slight push forward. I grumbled under my breath as I let her lead the way.

“Hey Anne, when did you get here?” my twin asked as he met us halfway greeting Anne in a tight embrace.

“Last night when you’re all in bed.” She replied once Dave was finished twirling her around and when the rest of my brothers also did their own welcoming of my childhood best friend.

“Last night? How did you get here then? Did you take a cab and well, how did you even know where this place is? Hi, I’m Emily” Millie said with a friendly smile on her face. They shook hands and the rest followed delaying Anne on answering the Millie’s inquiry.

“Ryan drove me here last night from the airport” she said as she took a seat by the kitchen island.

“Ryan?” Julie asked looking dumbfounded at the same time looking at me questioningly like that name was foreign to her.

“Yeah…”Anne replied nervously glancing my way.

I looked away from the two of them out of guilt. If something happened to Ryan last night I don’t think I can forgive myself. Silence met my ears and when I turned my head forward, I noticed that everyone’s eyes were on me. I balked at all the curious stares directed my way.

“Food’s ready. You all have to serve yourselves” Tony declared disturbing the unnerving silence that visited us all.

“Finally” Dave said dramatically as he went around me and Anne to get to the stove where the food was.

Just like a light switch, everybody remembered that they were all hungry for something warm to eat to fill their stomachs. I stayed rooted from where I stood – between the kitchen island and the fridge. I don’t have the appetite and I once again got derailed on my goal – to find out if anybody got a cell signal.

“Millie do you have a landline here?” I asked once everyone started eating their breakfast.

“Yes, it’s in my parents’ room upstairs. Is your cell low batt?” she asked with a tilt of her head as she looked at my hands.

When I looked down, I realized I had my phone tightly clutched between both hands. I loosened my hold just in case I break my phone. I shook my head in response and muttered thanks before walking out of the kitchen area. I took the steps two at a time as I made my way upstairs.

Once I was standing in front of the bedroom door, nerves suddenly took over me. I don’t know why I’m so nervous, all I wanna know if I missed a phone call from Ryan or if he’s even okay. Taking two deep breaths to calm myself, I placed my hand on the doorknob and turned it clockwise.

Immediately, I found the phone and I floated – that’s what my body felt like it was doing – towards it. I picked up the phone and dialed his number first. It was turned off as the voicemail picked up without it ringing in the first place. I left him a message telling him that if he tried calling me, I might have missed it because of no reception.

Next, I dialed my number and same thing happened, my voicemail picked up. I pressed the access code to be able to listen to my messages. I closed my eyes as I waited for the prompt telling me how many voicemail messages I have. It informed me that I have two.

I held my breath when it started playing the first message. It was from dad telling me that he has an early Christmas surprise for me and that Ryan will be delivering this surprise with him when he gets here. I guessed he was referring to Anne.

When the second message started playing, I caught myself sitting at the edge of the bed. It was Ryan. “Hey Danni, I can’t say I’m not hurt to find you lip locking with Mark in my absence but I know that you still carry a torch for him. I understand your situation I just hope that I was there to protect you from him because you are vulnerable around him. I am very sorry for walking out like that. I guess my heart reacted before my brain realized that I should have let you explain the scene that I found you in. I am heading back to Calgary just to give you space. After all I just want you to be happy. If he makes you happy, please let me know. I will always lo—“

Static met my ears and I pulled the phone away from my ear as if it was burning me. I stared at it for a few moments. Then, I heard the automated voicemail message saying that the message has finally ended. Dial tone met my ears next and slowly, I felt my heart stop just slightly.