Chapter 40: He's just Worried

We arrived at dinner slightly later than we would've liked, but it was fine. The restaurant seemed pretty fancy so I was glad that I'd dressed nicely again, I know that this is something you do when you go meet with family; you go out to eat constantly. It's just how family works.
"What would you like to drink?" Our waiter asked. We all told him our orders, he wrote them down, and then left. I kept noticing Tom scowling at me. All of a sudden, Mark and his mom went to the bathroom, leaving me and Tom there in awkward silence.
"So," I began, breaking the silence, "Your mom seems nice." I saw Tome start to lean in closer to me, signalling for me to lean closer to him.
"Don't hurt him." He whispered.
"What?" I questioned, wondering if I'd heard him right.
"Don't hurt him." He repeated, "I swear, it's happened too many times. I can't stand to see him like that again. Don't. Hurt. Him." I couldn't help but start laughing, Tom leaned back.
"What?" He scoffed.
"Nothing," I answered, beginning to calm down. "It's just that it confuses me that you would think I'd hurt him. I was lucky enough that he actually liked me, and I've known him for almost my entire life." Tom looked at me with a puzzled look on his face, but then nodded at me in understanding. He explained that the people he had dated in the past were no good. Mark had been heartbroken when they left, and he couldn't stand seeing his brother like that. I could understand how he felt, even if it hadn't happened to me, I knew what it was like to have bad experiences with dating. I felt that I finally understood Tom better. I was about to speak again when Mark and his mom came back. Mark gently draped his arm over my shoulder.
"So, what did we miss?" He asked, looking between me and Tom. We started to chuckle.
"Nothing, Mark," I answered, leaning my head into his shoulder. "Nothing at all..."

HOPE EVERYONE ENJOTED! CATCHA LATER MA MELLOW SHMALLOWS!!!! :3