Chapter Thirteen

His body was beginning to build up an immunity to the serum. And if that happened, his team would be endanger. Valleri would be endanger. We need to get to the jail, fast. He thought as they journeyed through the seemingly empty town. But he knew better. He and the others remained on high alert, even more so since it was dark out.

He carried Valleri whilst the others stood around them, their guns trained in every direction. They'd decided to not rest until they were an hour away from the jail. They had to keep moving.

Priority number one,  get Valleri to a doctor.

Priority number two, get Colt to the jail and in a cage before he mutated.

Nothing else mattered but those two things. One of which Valleri didn't know about, and Colt never wanted her to know. When they got to the refuge he wants them to tell her he got fixed up and went out on another mission, a mission he'd never come back from... He didn't know why the thought of someone telling her that pained him so much. Probably because there was a chance she'd be hurt by the news. Or was it because he knew that after this, they wouldn't ever see each other again because of his fuck up.

He knew he should have kept his guard up, but he got to cocky, to sure that he had it in the bag. He'd killed so many of those bastards he thought nothing could stop him. Boy was I wrong. 

He wanted to still see her after this was over. But only to make sure she was doing okay, that's all. He cared for her, but more like a friend and friends looked out for each other. Yeah...that was it. He'll just have to make one of the three stooges do it for him.

The thought of never being able to touch, let alone see Valleri bothered him more than he expected. Had he grown to care for her....in that way over this past few weeks? Yes. But the real question was:

Why was it this strong?

It was only two weeks so it couldn't be that strong. Right? No one could ever develop feelings like that for someone else in a matter of a few weeks, even when he couldn't stand her at first for the first couple of days. But now... He didn't know.

Doesn't matter. You'll be gone and she'll move on.

That's just the way things were and had to be.

He looked down at Valleri's sleeping form, his heart lurching. She was so beautiful. So innocent. She was snuggled against his chest, one arm resting against her breasts whilst her other hand subconsciously stroked the area above his heart. She looked extremely fragile. Precious. Adorable. Absolutely-

Colt shook his head and focused his gaze toward the buildings around them. They were walking on the sidewalks, sticking close to the buildings. The others had their semi-automatics trained in every direction, switching up from time to time.

"If we ditch the girl we could get to the jail sooner." Louise gritted.

Colt glared at the back of her head, his blood boiling. "Just shut the fuck up and keep walking." He sneered.

He heard Dakota snicker as Louise shot him a furious glare. She halted, whipping her whole body around to face him fully, her gun trained at him, the red laser pointer aimed in the center of his forehead. 

"You know I have no problem killing you right? It's not like you are going to make it anyway."

She then moved it down, the red dot now focused on the side of Valleri's head. She was out cold, her body trembling as she adjusted herself pressing her face against Colt's chest.

"I also don't mind killing her. It'd speed up our journey and from what her fever tells me, she's a goner either way. She's too weak."

Colt was about to yell at her to put her damn gun down but Bryan beat him to it.

When a red dot appeared over Louise's heart she cocked a brow and looked to Bryan. His face was void of emotion, his lips set in a hard line. "I'll have you on the ground before you blink. We don't have time for this shit."

Spencer came up behind Louise and grabbed the barrel of her gun, forcing it to aim at the ground. "Stop over exaggerating and let's keep moving, my radar picked up a hoard howlers coming this way so we need to go." He looked to the others. "Now."