Chapter Seven

Valleri and Veronica were yanked into a chamber, that served as a three way junction. In that chamber were six other howlers, each growling and snapping its jaws at the two women.

Valleri struck the howler-that held her hair-in the face, causing it to yelp and release her, it's face sizzling

Valleri struck the howler-that held her hair-in the face, causing it to yelp and release her, it's face sizzling. Both she and Veronica scrambled to their feet. Valleri held up her fists, her breathing ragged as her chest felt tight. Noticing her condition, Veronica yanked Valleri to her and took the hook off her, before gently pushing her away. 

"Get out of here! I'll hold them off!" 

Valleri shook her head. Yes, she wanted to get back Tank, to make sure he was okay, but she couldn't leave Veronica to face these beasts alone. She couldn't leave her to die.

"N-No! I can't-" 

Veronica looked at her with a cold, murderous gaze, one that chilled Valleri to the bone. "Go! Now!..." She sighed, her gaze softening. "Go find your family kid..."

Valleri shook her head, but was helpless to object as Veronica pushed her toward a tunnel and pointed her knife at her, daring her to stay. With tears in the corners of her eyes, Valleri nodded, agreeing to go. Veronica gave her a sad smile and turned back toward the howlers that approached her, their teeth bared and drool dripping from their snouts. She pulled out another dagger, moving into a fighting stance. 

Valleri fought back her tears as she backed away, watching, horrified and helpless as the Howlers charged. Valleri didn't see what happened next for she was running away from the chamber, through the tunnel, unsure of her own destination.

-------------------

Her muscles ached and burned. 

Her throat throbbed painfully.

Breathing becoming harder and harder.

She was exhausted. 

She was alone. 

She was cold.

But above all she was scared. 

Valleri walked until she collapsed, her body curling up against the wall, her knees huddled to her chest and her arms wrapped around her legs. Her chest heaved as her breaths left her in loud, raspy pants, her entire body trembling and her head pounding. She didn't feel so good. She felt sick, like she might throw up any minute. She'd been walking for twenty four hours. She knew this because she'd been counting the seconds.

Please someone help me... 

She heard something approaching her from behind, but she didn't have the strength to reach for her machete. She felt so weak. So vulnerable. So dizzy.

Whatever was in the tunnel with her got closer and closer until it was right behind her. She whimpered when it picked her up, her small fists weakly beating against whatever it was.