Chapter Twelve

~April 17, 2016~

"We're almost there, if we keep walking north we'll reach the prison in two days at the most." Dakota informed the team.

Valleri huffed. Great, 48 more hours of this bozo carrying me.

She didn't particularly mind being carried, she just didn't want to be carried by him. Especially not for three days. For the first two, she could walk on her own, but when her fatigue got the best of her-as well as her asthma-this giant picked her up and doesn't put her down so long as there is walking involved. I hate this.

She was currently mad at him. Not because of what happened between he and Louise, but because, after doing so, he tried to get with her. I don't think so, mister.

He says he was trying to get her off him...but if he was really trying, that bitch would've been on the ground. She definitely knew this to be true after the way he'd manhandled Bryan.

What made it worse was what Louise had said to her after Valleri's talk with Colt. Saying "Obviously he didn't like you too much since he came back to me."

Yeah, keep telling yourself that hon. We all know he didn't want you. Valleri wished she could say he tried his damnedest to get her off, but she knew he didn't.

"You're still mad?" Colt whispered in her ear.

Valleri huffed and buried her face in his chest, her arms crossed, though not fully since her shoulder was injured. 

She pouted. "Yes." Oh, stop being a baby.

Make me.

Don't make me make y-

Oh, God...

I'm talking to myself.

Gah! Now she was going crazy. Yet another thing to add to her list of problems. She'd lost her anxiety meds a day ago, when they'd been running from howlers and now-as she contemplated her list of problems-her anxiety began to rise and she found it hard to breathe. She fumbled for her inhaler, but then stopped, but then sought it out again. She needed to save up on it... but damn she couldn't breathe. Was she having an asthma attack or was she just having a panic attack. Her chest rose up and down heavily as her breaths came out in short, loud huffs. Her lungs felt as if they were contracting and her throat closing. She whimpered and squirmed a little as she began to panic.

Can't breathe.

Too weak to defend myself.

Can't defend myself against howlers.

May not make it...

"Valleri?" 

She squeezed her eyes shut as her hand gripped her shirt. "Can't......breathe...."

Colt looked upon her with a worried gaze. Her vision became hazy as her head struggled to stay up. Acting fast Colt did something that would make her hold her breath.

His lips descended upon hers, surprising her, as he continued to walk through the forest, following behind the three stooges and walking in front of Louise. She relaxed her breathing seizing. When he pulled back her eyes opened a little, her breathing back to normal. He smiled softly and nuzzled her cheek. 

Valleri looked at Louise and saw that she. Was. Seething. She internally smirked and closed her eyes, focusing her thoughts on everything besides the ache between her legs.

Just a stupid panic attack after all I guess...

----------------------------------

They stopped at an old factory, that was on the outskirts of an old town they'd ventured into once they were well rested. Dakota and Louise scoped the place out before letting the others enter. They only had to kill four howlers.

Once they were rested they would quietly go through town, passing through it completely and venturing five miles away from it before resting again. After passing through this town they had a desert-like terrain to go through, to get to the refuge. Turns out when they got separated in the sewers they ventured farther from the refuge instead of closer. Only twenty miles farther but it still extended their time. One more day and we'll be home free. Everyone was tired, agitated, and hungry. Their food supplies were low as well as water. Everything was practically gone.

And Colt was making it harder and harder to stay mad at him. He gave her half of his rations, let her use his body as a bed, and even carried her around. Well, not all the time. There have been two occasions where he handed her off to Dakota while he went to go do something. He never told her what he was doing, and when she'd asked whenever he did go off on his own he was snappy, more agitated than usual. When he returned, however, he was fine.

Like now, before he had left Valleri in her own little corner, on the top level of the factory-in a barren room-while he stepped out to go do something. When he'd left he'd looked to be in severe pain, his body hunched over as he'd stumbled out the doors. Valleri didn't know what was wrong with him, but as she sat in her dark little corner, she began to worry.

Was he hurt?

Sick?

Does he need medical attention?

Does he have bad cramps?

Did it....did it have something to do with his eyes. She remembered how, when he'd fought off those howlers, how his eyes glowed a bright silver, almost white. Did they have some cause in this?

She didn't know. So when he came back into the room, shutting the double doors behind him, Valleri slowly stood, meaning to ask him. Her legs shook, her body weak and skin pale. She'd gotten severely sick, barely being able to function properly and throwing up whatever she ate. One of her wounds had become infected yesterday and due to their lack of medical supplies, there was nothing the group could do for her. 

Colt cocked a brow as he walked over to her, his hands settling on her hips. She frowned, feeling how hot his hands felt through the jacket he'd let her wear. 

"What?" 

Valleri studied him for a moment, noting that he'd taken off his tactical vest and his hair was saturated with sweat, some of it stuck to his forehead, and his body was shaking. He was out of breath and even though he tried to hide it, Valleri could see the fear in his eyes.

What's got him scared?

She reached out and cupped his cheek, immediately withdrawing her hand, her eyes wide with shock. He was practically on fire. 

"Are you okay?!" She asked as she cupped his hot cheeks. 

He frowned and grabbed her wrists, slowly lowering her hands. "Yes?"

Valleri glared and poked his hard chest. "Don't lie. I can see you're obviously not fine."

Colt shook his head and sat in Valleri's corner, his eyes closed as he took deep breaths. His lips were pressed in a thin line, his skin paler than usual, and sticky. He looked so tired. So.....weak. Like something was draining him of his energy. Valleri bit her lip and eased down to her knees in front of him, her hands grasping his. 

"Colt please tell me..." 

He shook his head, a weak, breathy chuckle parting his lips. "I'll be fine. Okay? Don't ever worry about me. I'm not worth it." 

Valleri was about to speak against that, tell him that he was worth it all, but he pulled her to him, placing her back against his front as he wrapped his arms around her. She heard soft snores behind her and knew he was asleep.

Valleri sighed and closed her eyes. She felt terrible. Partly because of her injuries, but mostly because something was wrong with him and she somehow knew that there was nothing she could do and she hated that feeling. Knowing someone needed help but also knowing there was nothing you could do for them. Nothing you could say that would make it all better. 

Nothing at all.