Chapter One

The two stood there for what seemed like hours, neither moving until it pressed its snout against the top of her head and sniffed. Valleri's mind kicked into gear and she did the first thing her father taught her when she started walking. She kicked the fucker where the sun doesn't shine. It yelped and jumped back, an angry snarl sounding as Valiant took off to the school entrance.

She heard it chase after her, its heavy pants and growls seeming to get closer and closer. Tears streaked down her face, and with a hard slam she burst through the doors and sprinted to her jeep. Thank God she didn't park too far. With her asthma, she wouldn't have been able to run much longer, her breathing already becoming labored.

Right when she reached for the door handle, she was yanked to the ground by her ankle. The wind was knocked from her lungs and as she struggled for breath, she kicked the asshole in the face repeatedly until it let go. Once free she scrambled into the jeep and started it. With shaky hands-her chest rising and falling heavily, she opened her bag and quickly pulled out her inhaler, taking two separate puffs. When she began to breathe right she put her foot on the break and put the jeep in drive.

She looked up as that thing stood and she quickly switched to the gas pedal and ran it the hell over. Repeatedly.

----------

As she sped to her home she turned on the radio. Hopefully, it would tell her why school was canceled. Was it because of that animal?

If so where were the police? Or better yet, animal control.

"This is your local news anchor, Tom Howard, speaking. Everyone is to stay in their homes. I repeat everyone please stay—What the hell?!"

Valleri's eyes widened as screams and snarls filled her jeep. The screams of Tom and the station crew. Accompanied by those screams was the horrid sound of gargling and soon nothing but static could and then the message started over. Valleri shut the radio off and pulled out her phone.

"Come on pick up pick-"

She slammed on her breaks, and dropped her phone, as a woman ran out in front of her, covered in blood and wounds, holding a shotgun.

Valleri frowned. "Mrs.David?"

Mrs.David's hands shook as she dropped the gun, tears streaming from her eyes. Valleri's brows furrowed in confusion and worry and she slowly eased out of her jeep.

"Are you okay?" She asked as she carefully approached her.

Suddenly, Mrs.David's hands were wrapped around Valleri's arm and Valleri winced as her grip tightened. Her wrist gripped hers and she made an effort to pull her hand away.

"Damn, for an old lady you're strong..."

"H....He tried to kill me..." She whimpered, her body trembling.

Valleri frowned and placed her hand against the woman's forehead. "Who tried to...Mrs.David, we need to get you in side your burn-"

"He...wasn't him...I shot him...I had to—I killed him....my husband."

As she spoke her grip tightened to the point Valleri felt like her bones were close fracturing, or worse, breaking.

"Mrs.David please let go, you're hurting me." Valleri whimpered.

Mrs.David's gaze looked up at Valleri and the young girl gasped. Red eyes. Mrs.David cocked her head and bared her teeth. Her now sharp teeth. All around her wounds her veins seemed to turn black and the more to black spread the more Mrs.David changed.

She snarled and Valleri screamed "Hell no!" before kicking her back and climbing back into her jeep. But before she could close her door Mrs.David grabbed it, the two playing tug of war.

Valleri watched on in horror as she grew in size and began to look more like the other creature she'd run over. Oh, fuck my life. Valleri let go of the door, which caught the creature off guard, causing the monster to hit herself in the face with it, knocking herself out.

Valleri laughed. "Ha! Dumbass."

She quickly got out and ran to the front of her car. She picked up the shotgun and checked the barrel.

"Shit..."

Only two shots. It's better than nothing.

Crash!

She looked over to the Davids' home and saw another creature crawling along to front yard, bullet holes along its neck, legs, and arm.

Valleri sighed and looked down at Mr.David's unconscious wife. "I thought you killed him."

She rolled her eyes and quickly tossed the shotgun into her jeep and was about to climb back in when she heard barking. She looked down the road and saw Sergeant Samuel's German Shepard, Tank, running straight toward her, followed by a hoard of those creatures.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding."

She looked at her car, then Tank, her car, Tank, Mr.David who's spotted her and was crawling toward her, dragging his useless legs behind him. Valiant sighed and got on her knees, holding her arms out to Tank.

"Come one Tank!" The dog barked and ran faster. So did the creatures, who were now on all fours.

"Come on Tank. Come on."

He jumped into her arms and with quick movements, Valleri was in the jeep, Tank on her lap, and those creatures banging against her windows and the top of her car. She stepped on the gas, pushing it all the way to the floor. The smell of burning rubber filled her nose as the tires screeched, the vehicle speeding down the road. The sudden movement took the creatures off guard. Some fell off her jeep and others were run over as she sped off.