12. The Plan

~ Friday, October 18th, 4:44 PM ~

Reese's POV

"Child, I'd like think that I raised Dominic pretty well on my own. I got this."

I can't help but hold on to Eva a little longer. Even though she seemed to warm up to Ms. Nunes in the three days we spent with her I can't bring myself to let her go. Talking with Dominic convinced me that what he had up his sleeve might just work and I know Eva can't be caught up in the mess we created. But, I've had her for all of five and a half months and she's been with me every day since May 27th, I can't come to terms with the fact that I have to be away from her for an indeterminate amount of time.

"What type of mother am I? Who leaves their daughter with some distant relatives in Timbuktu for an undetermined amount of time?"

"You're the type of mother willing to risk anything to keep her daughter safe," Ms. Nunes reassures me.

"You think so?"

"I might be old but I'm not stupid. My crazy ass son has gotten y'all into a mess that can't be cleaned up unless y'all handle it face to face, you can't handle it with Eva in hand. Trust me, Arizona is far from Timbuktu, I'll protect little Eva with my life."

"Reese, we have to go babygirl," Dom peeks his head inside the house, looking a little winded after doing some rearranging in his new "inconspicuous" SUV to accommodate for all the extra snacks and toiletries his mom made us take from her.

My heart practically breaks in half as I hand Eva over, my eyes taking in her delicate appearance for about the hundredth time today before finally building up the courage to walk away. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm doing this for, I'm doing this for us, so we can finally live a life worth living. I might be away from her for a while but it's for the best, it's a necessary evil.

I just hope that we'll be back soon.

~ Saturday, 9:35 PM ~

Dominic's POV

"James, I want you to meet my future wife and the mother of my child, Reese."

She sends a look my way almost as if to point out the fact that that's the second time I've mentioned the word wife within this week. It's the truth though, she's always going to be mine and I'm going to make it official as soon as I get us out of this mess I got us into. It's time to put that big ring on her finger and give her the safety, stability, and luxuries that she deserves, she's been just my fiancé for way too long.

James holds out his hand, "Nice to meet you ma'am."

She raises an eyebrow at his southern drawl but takes his hand nonetheless, "I would say the same but under the circumstances I just can't be sure anymore."

He chuckles, leading us through the nightclub he'd asked me to meet him at, "Understandable."

I ignore the seductive looks from gyrating women, disregard the death grip Reese has on my hand, and tune out the pounding music throbbing through the dimly lit room. All I concentrate on is James and his path to the VIP backroom that holds a small bar with one lone bartender, a few plush couches, and multiple plasma TV's with security footage of various parts of the club.

"Now, let's grab a drink, take a seat, and let's get down to business," James states as he takes his own advice.

I gesture for Reese to sit down and request two sodas from the bartender, I want to keep a clear head throughout all of this from now on.

James takes a sip of some alcoholic drink he requested and then rolls up the sleeves to his dress shirt getting right down to it, "I need to know if y'all are ready to face death."