18. What's Next?

Michele's POV

"Did you see her face as she watched him die?"

I roll my eyes at Damien's kid like fascination with the fact that he actually killed Dominic. He's been talking about it nonstop since we escaped from the ruins of his complex.

"I mean that distraction was just too clever," Damien gushes, his voice getting higher in pitch the more he talks excitedly.

"Don't make me regret this," I bite out, my eyes focused on the road ahead as the get away car we had arranged takes us further and further away from the scene of destruction.

"There's nothing to regret here babe, we both got what we wanted and got away with it."

I begin to get angry, frustrated with his foolish assumptions that we actually accomplished something.

"Do you realize that his lover is still alive? She will want revenge as soon as she stops mourning his pitiful existence. We are not done with our mission, I am not satisfied and you shouldn't be either."

It seems as if reality hits him and his gleeful countenance is no more.

"Exactly, now get it together. You are a grown man acting like some teenager who just nut for the first time."

His face gets red and he sputters but I leave no chance for him to reply, "Listen, we're going back to my place and we're going to get some of my people together. They'll be able to finish the job that you obviously couldn't handle."

The rest of the ride is spent in blissful silence, my thumbs clicking away on my iPhone as my plan slowly comes together.

Wanda's POV

My fingertips tingle, the space behind my eyes throbbing a bit, and I immediately know. One of mine has died. It's like when your child dies for someone with my abilities, it's like a piece of you has been taken away. But which piece? Who has perished?

Just as the question crossed my mind I sense someone step onto my yard and my defenses go up immediately. I saunter though the little twists and turns of m house and up to my front door, opening it and looking through the screen door, my heart immediately dropping when I notice it's Reese, Ashe, and few of the others. No Dominic.

I knew I should have come along, if only to be there as someone with hindsight, someone who could warn them of dangers. But Lee insisted that I stay out of this, told me it was a fight for the young bucks to deal with, not us. He himself didn't even want to get involved, said he raised an army to fight for him and as a general he'd be watching from a distance. Whatever that meant.

I assume that everyone else involved either was lost to in the battle or headed back to the warehouse we had been training out of. I watch as the few others pace around my front yard looking distraught and hopeless as Reese inches towards me stoically. I open the screen door and throw my arms open, no hesitation as Reese flops into my arms, sobs wracking her body.

Ashe looks so helpless as I cradle Reese like a fussy child, wringing her hands from a few feet away as the others nervously observe one of their, normally fearless, leaders break down.

"I know baby, I know, I know it hurts. Let it out, let it all out."

"W-w-what am I going to do w-without him Wanda? I c-can't lead all of these people. H-half of them don't take me seriously and the other h-half I don't think knows I exist beyond the day I t-turned them!"

I pull her away from my chest, wipe the trail of tears from her cheeks and grasp her face, "Now you listen here. I don't care how others see you, you know what you are. You know the power you have and you've only just scratched the surface of your influence on immortals. You will never again downplay your abilities, never again question your right to lead. You were meant for this just like Dominic was meant for his fate. You will continue this fight as it is not finished. Not by a long shot."

She sniffles a bit, blinking tears from her eyes, clutching my shoulders for support. I watch her face change as she seems to process my words and get herself together. She pulls her hands from my shoulders and I release her face, allowing her to wipe her own face and take a couple of deep breaths.

"Damien isn't dead."

I nod, "I sensed that. His power was weakened though and it seems as if he's not completely working on his own anymore. Michele chose the wrong side of the fight, I sensed that before you guys left."

I brace myself for her reaction, seeing her eyes widen in disbelief, "You knew she was going to turn on us and you let us take her with us? YOU LET US WALK RIGHT INTO THAT BLOODBATH?"

"It was not my place to mess with fate, if not then she would have figured out how to carry out another plan with the same consequences if not worse."

I know she sees the logic in my reasoning but it still does not seem to make her feel any better, "We walked right into a trap, right into their turf unaware that they had a plan all along. They got into the minds of people I TURNED."

Reese's POV

I whirl around to stare at the small group of people that had accompanied me to Wanda's property, anger coursing through me.

"If you are thinking of double crossing me or if you are beginning to doubt the greater good that we're fighting for, SPEAK UP. Don't hold your peace, none of that bullshit, I need to know NOW. Old Reese from back in the day needs to be brought back into action. No more of the behind the scenes, Dominic's showgirl type shit. I am in charge now, I call the shots, if you cannot respect that then get to steppin' and take whoever else that don't like it with you!"

Everyone looks at me wide-eyed, even Ashe. She's the first of the group to speak since we got here.

"I'm behind you 100% Ms. Reese, you know that. But I think this is a speech better told in front of the whole army, we can't possibly tell everyone ourselves."

I open my mouth to respond but instead I just snort and something about her innocent statement makes me laugh. The other people that came with us chuckle a bit too and even Wanda let's out a little giggle.

"You're right Ashe, you're totally right, it's time to regroup with everyone and let them know that this isn't over. We may be down a person but this will not stop those who are truly loyal to the cause. Damien is not who we want in control of the streets, all of California will be in ruins within a month. Michele is the one pulling the strings right now, we need a plan of attack that focuses on her."

Everyone nods in agreement and Wanda chimes in, "I want to help, I want to weed out those who are disloyal to this cause. I know I didn't do that with Michele but, as I said, that was unavoidable. The loss of your most dominant leader is a blow but I will not allow avoidable casualties."

I nod curtly in agreement, she's right. Despite my fairly new role in the immortal world I feel a little tingling sense in me that reassures me that there was nothing  her nor I could do as far as Dominic goes.

My best friend, my lover, the father of my child, is gone.

But this fight is not over. It's not over until someone pays penance for his death. The great thing about being in a relationship with the infamous Dominic Nunes is that I've learned much about torture, I've learned much about bringing as much pain as possible to a person before they die. In the end heads will roll over this loss.

Trust.

**

This was my comeback chapter lmaoo, hope y'all enjoyed it...

Vote, Comment, Follow (: