20. Help

// 2 days later, December 5th //

Reese's POV

Eva turned 7 months old last week and I had to see her via FaceTime with the new iPhone I purchased just for that purpose. Here I am without my husband, away from my child, and in charge of an immortal army. This is straight out of a crappy SyFy movie. It's been a little over a week since I lost Dominic and I've become numb to the pain that comes whenever I think about the last moment I saw him.

This immortal shit is for the birds.

But I've introduce dozens of people to this life though and I can't just abandon them no matter how much I want to go back to life the way it was. They're partially my responsibility now and I need to figure out what our next move is before they wander off on their own with these new capabilities and wreak havoc on a world that doesn't even know they exist.

"There's this man standing on my porch, white as a piece of paper," Wanda whispers, her eyes darting towards the screen door. I frown and get up from my place at the dining table where I'd been staring at a blank document on my laptop for hours.

Through the mesh screen I can see the outline of a suit on what can be confirmed as a white man. I chuckle a bit as I fully comprehend what Wanda said, white as a piece of paper.

"Ms. Baker?"

My eyebrows come together in confusion, that can't be who I think it is

"It's James Deruch, Dominic introduced us a while back."

I approach the screen door and open it slowly, "What in the world are you doing here?"

"Lee came to me."

Wanda comes from the back of the house at the sound of her man's name, we haven't seen or heard from Lee in a couple of days.

"Where is he?"

By this time I've gestured him into the house and we all take a seat in the living room.

James frowns, "He didn't tell me he was going anywhere, he just came to me about Reese and then left."

Wanda looks deflated, worried even, which is new for her. I reach over and squeeze her hand, "I'm sure he's fine."

She nods, her face becoming emotionless, "Why did he come to you about Reese?"

James sighs, "He seems to think that I can be of value in this issue with Damien..."

*thirty minutes later*

"I refuse to be someone else's lackey. Damien wanted me to do something similar and failed to mention the prostitution aspect, I'm not going to even put myself in that situation."

James spits up the water Wanda had given him a few minutes ago, "Prostitution?! I assure you Reese, while quite a bit of my associates might dabble in that industry I don't plan on involving you with them. Those individuals don't see a bigger cause, they don't care about the people, they're only working to get to their next big check. I'm aiming for individuals like your husband, myself, people in charge of perfectly legitimate businesses on top of everything else. Those are the people that will do what's necessary to keep their businesses afloat."

"You're counting on drug pushers and gang affiliated thugs to have a moral compass?"

James chuckles,"They have their own twisted moral compass. For instance, I know a pill pusher that investigates each customer before dealing. No kids, no mothers. They gotta hustle but they have their boundaries."

I scoff, "Great, we're counting on boundaries and conditional moral compasses."

James adjusts on the couch, sitting up to face me directly on the couch beside him, "It's all we have. Take it or leave it."