Broken

After the hundredth fake giggle from Elizabeth, you stabbed your fork into the steak you were trying to eat, your eyes glued to the woman, shooting daggers at her. There was no way on earth that you were going to put up with this for any longer than a day. The constant babbling about her horses and the fake laughs that followed, then there was the stroking of Ciel's arm as if she was staking her claim.

"I'm sure Father will get me that beautiful sandy coloured horse that we spotted the other day!" She sung before taking a sip of her glass of wine. "Father always gives me the best."

"Not the best personality though." You mumbled under your breath.

"I'm sorry (your name) I couldn't hear you." She spoke through gritted teeth as she glared at you down the table.

"I said that this steak is wonderful. Thank you Bard!" You called a little louder so he could hear. A faint thanks could be heard from the kitchen as you gave Elizabeth the most fake smile you could muster.

"Mine is a little over cooked Ciel." She pouted at him, placing her hand over his.

"I will speak to Bard about the cooking." Ciel offered as he pushed his plate away gently, indicating that he had finished.

"You know our cook at home is wonderful, he uses different spices that he buys especially for us. Maybe I could see if he could come here for a bit." Elizabeth smiled.

"I think Bard is a great cook." You commented. Clearly getting agitated by the lack of respect Elizabeth was displaying.

"I wasn't asking for your opinion." She hissed.

"I wasn't asking permission." You bit back, standing from your chair. "We have work to do Ciel."

"Baby..." Elizabeth pouted, fluttering her stupid eyelashes.

"I will not be working this evening." Ciel looked up and found your gaze for the first time this evening.

"Excuse me?" You raised your eyebrows.

"I said that I would spend this evening with Elizabeth."

"Ciel, I hate to say this but if your little female friend here is going to become a distraction from the case, she will have to leave." You patronised him on purpose. His eyes flared with some sort of anger.

"Fiancée, actually." Elizabeth corrected smugly.

"I think I'll stick with female friend thanks, unless you'd prefer something cruder."

"Ciel!" She shrilled.

"(Your name)! Do not speak to Elizabeth like that. You will be working alone tonight and that is final." Ciel raised his voice in warning.

"Freedom of speech." You shrugged before turning around and leaving the dining room. Even from down the hallway you could hear Elizabeth's irritating voice. This was a living hell.

***

"Senator Collins, if you could just let me speak-"

"Really (Your name), how could you be so careless in this investigation! I knew that you would not be able to handle this well at all." He babbled. After spending some time in the investigation hall with Horatio assisting you, one of the workers had come over to apologise that they had forgotten to notify you of an official visit that was being made to evaluate the progress and future plans within the investigation from a Senator elected by the Reaper council.  Now, you were stuck in the Library with Senator Collins as he expressed his negativity towards the whole ordeal.

"Please-"

"Not to mention that you have been reckless, impulsive and still have no solid evidence of where the Undertaker could be! And your so called plan that you have to catch him!"

"Senator, we are doing what we are able to do at this time. What I am able to do at this time. Plus quite frankly, I honestly do not agree with your suggestion of locking the Undertaker up. The plan is that I kill him." You finally managed to actually speak after what felt like a four hour lecture from the arrogant man.

"Impulsive, violent behaviour gets you nowhere!"

"Need I remind you that we ourselves are Reapers? The reputation we uphold to the mortal humans? We take life, what's one more? Especially his!" You argued. You couldn't believe that he was trying to force you to not kill the Undertaker.

"There are more rational ways of dealing with this sort of situation, (Your name)." Senator Collins pressed on.

"This situation? We have never had this situation before, where a Reaper goes rogue! He is a dangerous man to everyone and he won't stop unless he's dead. So I intend on killing him myself!"

"Your mother would be so disappointed." He sighed.

"Excuse me?" You blinked. The mention of your mother had seemed to have stopped time itself. "If I were you Senator Collins, I'd think very carefully about your next words..."

"Your mother would know exactly how to handle this problem. You may look like your mother, but you don't act like her." He spoke. "She was a fair woman, you...you are just fuelled by some form of rage. She wouldn't be happy with you at all." His words hit straight home. This was a meeting to discuss the case, not your personal life. Your blood was boiling and you were a fraction away from physically lashing out at this man in front of you.

"Get.Out." You spoke lowly.

"Not until something resolv-"

"Get out!" You shouted at the top of your voice. When he only took a step back, you screamed loudly. "Get out, get out, GET OUT!" He quickly scuttled away leaving you and your own anger alone. Something had to break, and it couldn't be you. So it has to be the library. In a fit of rage tables were turned, chairs thrown, books pulled from their shelves and a mirror shattered all in the space of thirty seconds. Leaving you standing in amongst the aftermath of your rage with tear streaked cheeks. The door cracked open and Ciel walked in eyes wide. Anger crossed his face instantly as he took in the damage.

"What in the-" Until his eyes landed on you, standing surrounded by the mess you created. His eyes softened ever so little. He shut the door and silently made his way towards you. Without saying a word he instantly wrapped his arms around you which you didn't argue with as you continued to cry. Your knees buckled below you and you began to sink to the floor. Ciel crouched down next to you, not letting go once, he held you against his chest, allowing you to cling to his blazer as violent sobs wracked through your body. And that's where you both stayed until you had no more tears to shed.