The letter

Ciel and Sebastian had been gone for over two hours.  No one could do anything more today due to the malfunction of our equipment so you had sent everyone home early.  The two hours had given you plenty of time to roam the mansion owned by the Queen's Watchdog.  Nothing had changed much from when you lived here when you was thirteen years of age.  Maybe a few more paintings had been display, most of them you liked apart from one.  At the end of the corridor on the third floor was a painting of Ciel and Elizabeth.  Ciel was sat in a red velvet chair and Elizabeth stood to his left with her hands placed on his shoulder.  Elizabeth was smiling in the painting, even staring at a picture of the girl you thought her smile looked evil, like she was manipulating Ciel.  Dropping your eyes back down to Ciel's face you chuckled slightly, he wasn't smiling of course, everything was a serious matter to Ciel and no painting was going to change that. You would love nothing more than to draw all over Elizabeth's stupid face or punch a hole in her face, and you weren't necessarily talking about the painting here.  It was lonely in the mansion alone. Not only had the Reapers gone home but you had given Bard, Finny and Mey-Rin the afternoon off and they decided to spend the afternoon in London.  Ciel probably wouldn't approve but you didn't approve of him not allowing you to accompany him to the Undertakers. 

You decided that the third floor was pretty boring so you moved back down to the ground floor and back into Ciel's office.  An idea had popped into your head but it was a bad one.  This is the perfect opportunity to snoop.  Ciel was such a secretive man, and with no one around this would be the time to do so.

"I'm going to hell anyway." You muttered to yourself before moving round behind Ciel's desk.  You carefully went through each draw, he kept everything in a particular order so you couldn't mess it up otherwise Ciel will know someone has gone through his paperwork, and obviously you'd be the prime suspect. It was mainly letters from Queen Victoria expressing her thanks to her loyal Watchdog about cases that she had brought to Ciel's attention.  You were starting to get bored again till your fingertips brushed over an unsealed letter addressed to Alexis and Francis Midford.  It was in the completely wrong place.  You picked it up and pulled the letter out of the envelope, Ciel hadn't written much, barely a paragraph. It wasn't even a proper letter yet the envelope was addressed, it was extremely rough.

I am aware that Elizabeth and I's wedding is fast approaching in the eyes of  our family.  However I wish to postpone the wedding, or even to cancel it completely. I can not marry Elizabeth. I need to be whole-heartedly in love with Elizabeth and at this present moment I can not. This is not due to Elizabeth herself but down to me. I have too many things to figure out for myself. I can not marry to make a pair until I have worked on myself. I can not, will not marry.

The last sentence had been crossed out multiple times.  What was this? Did Ciel really not want to wed Elizabeth?  You folded the letter up, placed it back in the envelope and into the draw exactly as you had found it. Maybe this was a bad idea.  You left Ciel's study and went outside for some fresh air.  It was crisp outside, the wind like a knife to your cheek. The sky had already started to change colour due to the sun setting and it was almost dark.  You had taken refuge on a bench surrounded by a rose bush, Finny had done a good job in these gardens.  All you kept thinking about was that letter. Would he ever re-write it and send it? Would Elizabeth's parents be mad? You thought about it some more.  It was clear from the letter that Ciel did not want to marry Elizabeth but does that mean he will never marry?  Surely Ciel would want to carry on his bloodline before Sebastian collects at the end of their contract.

"Why did I do that?" You frowned.  Your snooping skills were top notch, although it was your own idea...which backfired because this had now plagued your mind. You tried to focus on something instead, like Finny's handy work! Your eyes scanned the garden in front of you, the roses in this garden were beautiful.  You admired the flowers when something shifted in the distance, you narrowed your eyes at the movement, even though it never helped. There is was again! A shadow moved in the distance, that couldn't have been the wind.  It was a silhouette of a person. The wind seemed to get colder and the sky had turned dark.  You stood up deciding to go back inside.  You wove your way through the garden desperately.  It felt as if someone was watching you.  You stopped and spun round to scope the area, nothing...yet you couldn't shake the feeling off.  You hurried back to the mansion and shut the glass doors behind you and locked them.  Such a creepy mood had taken over your body and you couldn't help thinking something bad was going to happen.

"Snap out of it (Your name), you need to stop this." You tried to give yourself a pep talk.  Maybe tea would help? The tea set was always kept in Ciel's study so that was where you headed.  You opened to door and wandered in to grab the expensive tea set but your eyes were drawn to the desk.  All you could think about was that bloody letter. Though you could never speak to Ciel about it, any trust you had built up since he had apologised to you would be completely broken, he would never trust you again.  The door slammed behind you making you jump, you spun around and faced the door. No one was there. The wind? It couldn't have been you had shut and locked the door.  You opened the door again and looked up and down the hallway.

"Hello?" You called. "Mey-Rin? Bard, Finny?" No reply. "Horatio if that's you cut it out!" Nothing again. You backed into the room and shut the door.  You brought your fingers down to the lock and turned the key.  Something didn't feel right.  You turned around, you were intent on making this tea, maybe the warmth would shake this cold feeling off.  What happened next couldn't be avoided, you looked up to your horror.

"How in the hell?" You gasped as you pressed your back up against the door in fear.

"Miss me?" The Undertaker grinned.