Excluded for life

"Are you telling me that all of our sensor devices have dropped out?" You shouted in the investigation hall.  You had been informed that something has gone wrong with some of the equipment you were using for the hunt of the Undertaker specially donated from the Reaper Council. "Can someone actually sort this then?" You frowned as you stormed out of the the hall and down to Ciel's office. You pushed open the wooden door and walked in without knocking for the third time today.

"I take it that this is a habit you've acquired." Ciel raised his eyebrows as he stood up from behind his desk.

"Acquired? I've done this practically my whole life." You frowned as you shut the door behind yourself.

"Is there a problem?" Ciel asked as he moved round and leant on the front of his desk.

"Yes there is a problem." You frowned this was getting ridiculous. The investigation was at a standstill and nothing seemed to be going to plan. "We have lost all the sensor devices. I don't know what is going on."

"Is it our end or the other?" Ciel asked as he folded his arms over his chest.

"I do not know. This is the problem, there has been some interferences...signals were failing, and now all of the sensor devices have dropped out completely." You explained as you brought your hand up to your face in frustration as Ciel watched you carefully.

"It sounds like the other end." His gaze moved to the floor as he thought.

"How can you be certain?" You moved closer to him so you stood a few feet away from him.

"If the sensors are completely dropping out it has to be him surely." Ciel continued to stare at the floor as he thought strategically. "If they were failing at our end you would have picked up on it fairly early and sorted the problem out, so it has to be the other end."

"The only way we can be sure is to head back to the Undertakers..." You spoke as a shiver ran through your body, no matter how many times you've been there the slight mention of the place creeps you out.

"No." Ciel spoke sternly as he stood up straight. "Absolutely not, it is too dangerous."

"We've done it before and it wasn't a problem." You shrugged.

"Wasn't a problem? (Your name), you actually saw him. It's too dangerous, I've told you."

"And I'm telling you that you are not the boss of me." You frowned at him.

"I am the boss of this investigation." Ciel's gaze snapped back up to you.

"Excuse me Mr Phantomhive, I do believe you are mistaken." You narrowed your eyes at him. Here we go again.

"Stop being so damn stubborn."

"Listen Ciel. We have come to a standstill and there is nothing you nor I can do if we don't go to the Undertakers and correct these mistakes.  If you are not willing to do it, I will go and I will take a group with me." You put your foot down, there was to be no more games.

"You.Are.Not.Going." He spoke through gritted teeth.

"Why?" You tried to control the anger bubbling up inside you.

"It's not safe.  You could get hurt."

"I am an adult Ciel, I think I am quite capable."

"No." He glared at me.

"You are impossible!" You huffed as you threw  your hand up in the air.  You moved over to the window well aware of Ciel's gaze on your back as you moved.  There were a few moments silence to allow both Ciel and yourself to calm down.

"I will take Sebastian with me and you will remain here." Ciel sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. "That is the best compromise you will receive from me." You still didn't respect the fact that Ciel was banning you from going.  What was his problem? He knows you can handle yourself so why does he think he still has the upper hand over you.  Although you do believe that this will be the first and last compromise he will offer, and the job will need to be done to move onwards.

"Fine." You frowned, you could feel your mood switch to a sulky one.  "You are still a control freak." You moved back into the centre of the room.

"You have to remain safe." His eyes softened ever so slightly as the words left his mouth.

"Why are you sayi-" You was cut off by the door opening.

"Please forgive me Master but Elizabeth has arrived." Sebastian bowed gracefully. Your eyes snapped to Ciel's as you gave him the death stare.

"I had forgotten Elizabeth was due to come by..." Ciel rubbed his forehead. "I will send her away Sebastian.  Prepare the coach, we are going to the Undertakers to adjust some equipment."

"I've been excluded from this mission." You added as you looked towards Sebastian.

"Excluded for life." Ciel added.

"Of course Master." Sebastian nodded before slipping back out of the door.  Ciel grabbed a coat and shuffled a few papers around before walking towards you.

"I will leave now."

"I'll show you out." You suggested.

"I would enjoy that." Ciel smiled ever so slightly.  He held the door open for you to step through, he has such weird mood swings. He shut the door behind him and placed his hand on the small of your back, your breath hitched in your throat at the contact but luckily he hadn't caught on.

"Shall we?" He walked down the hallway with his hand resting on your lower back the whole way. He had never been this affectionate before. You had reached the entrance way and you could see Elizabeth pulling out her case from her carriage.  "Excuse me for a moment." Ciel said just before he descended the stairs and walked over to Elizabeth. She is going to be so annoyed, maybe you would enjoy this.

"That's not fair!" You heard her whine as she stomped her foot.  All you could do was roll your eyes, why was Elizabeth so pathetic? How could Ciel be marrying that? Before you knew it Ciel was coming back up the stairs towards you.

"She sounds delighted." You commented.

"Let's just say if she had something in her hands, she would have hit me." Ciel sighed as he straightened his tie.

"I honestly don't know why you put up with her." You raised your eyebrows, it was a complete mystery.

"It is...complicated."

"The situation or you?"

"Me."

"What are you talking about Ciel?" You asked. Ciel took a small step forward and brought his hand up to cup your face, your heart leapt at his touch.

"I'm just....a complicated person." He muttered as he tucked a loose strand of hair behind your ear before he turned round and walked back down the stairs and into the coach Sebastian had prepared. You stood dumbfounded at what had just happened.

"I know you are..." You whispered but no one heard, your words drifted away with the gentle breeze. Your eyes followed the coach until it was out of sight.

"I thought I told you to back off?" Your eyes snapped down to Elizabeth's who was standing at the bottom of the stairs.

"Oh you're still here? I thought Ciel had kicked you out?" You smirked at her as she glared up at you.

"You just wait. I'll save you a front row seat at our wedding so you can watch your dreams wither away." She sneered. God, I don't know how it's possible but everytime I see her my hatred seems to grow...is that normal?

"You will get what is coming to you Elizabeth." You gritted out. "Now get off this property, you're ruining the view." You said before you slammed the door shut. A shriek of anger came from outside and you knew you'd had the last say for today. Next time she might get a bit more than a few hateful words.