Chapter 14

Gabriel's P.O.V

Isn't it funny how some people can easily pretend to be someone they're not? It's like, who can you honestly trust to be themselves a hundred percent of the time these days? Since getting back from the hospital, I've been questioning the people who've I openly invited, trusted and loved in my life. Every night I have nightmares about those wretched people; especially, Alex who I've considered to be a friend. I have never shown anyone a thing besides kindness yet this is now my life. Why is it that bad things always happen to good people?

Today was my first day returning to classes since what happened to Chad and I. It seemed that either word had spread about what happened, or my mind was convincing me that all eyes were on me. From down the hall I spotted Jesús and Keisha waiting by the door for me.

"Oh, there he is!" Jesús exclaimed as he pointed Keisha over to me. "We were beginning to think that you changed your mind on coming today."

"Well I'm here now." I answered with some fake enthusiasm. "Let's just get this day over with."

"Ok boo, let's go." Said Keisha and she grabbed my arm in hers.

"Oh, look who came in today!" Our lecturer, Dr. Chapman exclaimed. "Your group is to present on Friday young man and you've missed what, two weeks of class?"

 "Your group is to present on Friday young man and you've missed what, two weeks of class?"

I was beginning to dislike Dr. Chapman. This wasn't the first time that he's made an unnecessary scene when it came to me. If he'd take a few seconds to let me bring my excuse to him, he'd understand why I've been absent for so long.

"I have an excuse sir." I said with a bit of a tone.

"Oh really? Let me see it then." He said with his hand outstretched. " Let's see what the brilliant excuse is this time! You are at university people; this isn't a village classroom!"

I could not believe he just said that. Giggles resonated throughout the lecture hall and I could feel a mix of emotions building within me.

"With all due respect sir, I do not appreciate in the least your lack of professionalism or your discriminatory behaviour."

"Oh really, lack of professionalism and discriminatory behavior, Mr. Anderson?" He asked folding his arms and raising his eyebrows.

"Indeed! But doesn't it say something that my village classroom was able to give me such a high quality education, that I'm here able to sit among scholars from all over the world ?" I shot back, which brought the class to silence. I was about to explode but I kept hearing my father's voice ringing in my head, telling me to calm down. What's wrong with me? This is not the Gabriel I know. I briefly handed Mr. Chapman my medical slip from the doctor's, and asked to be excused so that I could gather myself.

"Gabe are you ok?" Keisha asked as she hurried out behind me. "Mr. Chapman is a complete dick!"

"I'm good Keisha, I just feel a bit on edge right now."