Smells Like Teen Spirit

Start from the beginning

"Here we are. Senior year," She sighed happily. She slung her arm around Audrey's shoulders and pulled her close. "Thank God, my best friend gets to share the experience with us," She giggled. Audrey laughed too and kissed Caroline on the cheek.

"Anyone else think it should feel slightly more empowering?" Bonnie asked.

"Okay. So prank night was a bust. But we're accepting it, and we are moving on," Caroline stated, hoping to cheer everyone up.

"You're right. I mean, why should I let the fact that my boyfriend is seeing the ghost of his dead girlfriends hinder this experience?" Bonnie said sarcastically.

"Yes! And why should I let the fact that my boyfriend was turned into a hybrid put a damper on an otherwise fabulous day!" Caroline replied in a cheery yet even more sarcastic tone.

"Today's our anniversary. Technically, Stefan and I met on the first day of school last year," Elena mumbled sadly. Bonnie, Caroline, and Audrey all shared a look before enclosing Elena in a hug.

"Yeah. You win," Caroline sighed.

"Are you sure you want to be here?" Bonnie asked as they all pulled away. Elena smiled sadly but nodded.

"I have to be here. I have to put it behind me. New year, new life," Elena said confidently. Everyone looked at each other but said nothing as they walked into school. Audrey had split up from everyone to go to her locker and put all her books in it.

"No. No! Audrey Gilbert is actually back?!" A familiar voice shouted. Audrey smiled and closed her locker before facing the owner of the voice. Matt Donovan was smirking like an idiot when Audrey turned to him. She dropped all of her stuff and immediately ran over to him.

"Matthew Donovan, I never thought I'd say this, but God I've missed you!" Audrey laughed when he picked her up to spin her around. He laughed with her drawing attention from nearby students. When he set her back down she shook her head at him. "You know, getting kidnapped by a psycho hybrid really opened my eyes to life,"

"Yeah? I bet," Matt chuckled, slinging his arm around Audrey. "While you were gone Caroline was a mess. I swear, I've never seen that girl not be able to function,"

"I thought you two weren't speaking," Audrey said looking up at him as they walked back to her pile of stuff.

"I mean, I don't care what she does anymore but I still wanna watch out for her. It's so messed up but it's how I feel," Matt sighed.

"It's not messed up. You're a great guy Matt," Audrey smiled. "You've got the biggest heart out of all of us,"

"Says the girl who almost died just to save her sister," Matt teased nudging her friend. She rolled her eyes at him playfully. "I mean seriously?! You've got some big balls for a girl who's only 5 foot 3,"

"Hey! I'm 5 foot 6 now, thank you very much!" Audrey exclaimed smacking his arm. Caroline saw the two talking and walked over to them.

"Hey guys!" She smiled widely. Matt cleared his throat and looked at Audrey.

"I'll see ya around little Gilbert," He chuckled. He gave Caroline one last glance before walking away. Both girls turned to watch the football player leave.

"He hates me," Caroline pouted.

"Nah, he just doesn't know what to say around you. I mean ya did break his heart Care," Audrey joked, slapping her hand to her heart. Caroline tried not to smile but caved in. She nudged her friend before they walked to class.