Smells Like Teen Spirit

"Holy crap, Elena. It's like 3 in the morning," Audrey moaned as she struggled to follow her sister and Alaric into the woods. It was still dark out but the sun would be rising any moment from now. Elena rolled her eyes as she looked back at her sister.

"It's 5:30 almost 6 o'clock in the morning," She replied in a 'duh' tone.

"That's still so early," Audrey whined, rubbing her tired eyes. Last night she didn't sleep at all. She was still upset over all the events that happened over the past few days. Klaus saving her, Stefan turning off his emotions, Elena constantly mad, it was all becoming stressful. When they arrived to the place where Alaric was training Elena, Audrey plopped down onto a stump.

"So what are we doing first?" Elena asked Alaric. He set up a couple mannequins and handed Elena some device you slide into your sleeve so that when you punch someone it ejects two stakes.

"The pressure of your punch will eject the stakes," Alaric explained.

"Easy enough," Elena smirked, turning to face a mannequin. She tried to punch it in the chest but nothing happened. "That's weird," She mumbled, attempting to do it again. When she got the same response she raised an eyebrow at Alaric. "Must be jammed or something," Alaric shook his head and chuckled.

"You're not strong enough. Better start lifting some weights, put some meat on your bones," He laughed. Audrey laughed as well. Elena shot her a glare and crossed her arms.

"You think this is easy?" Elena snapped harshly.

"Whoa there sissy, calm down," Audrey chuckled standing up. She walked over to her sister and unhooked her from the sleeve. Audrey put it on and faced the mannequin. She threw one hard punch and instantly the stakes ejected. "Just put your body into it," Audrey said looking back at her shocked sister. She slid the sleeve off of her arm before high fiving Alaric. "Honestly, didn't think I'd get it," Elena was still glaring at the two of them until Ric pulled something new from his bag.

"You know what this is?" He asked as he held out a vervain grenade.

"A vervain grenade. I've used one before," Elena answered.

"Then you know the element of surprise is your only advantage when it comes to a vampire," Ric stated, pulling the pin out of the grenade. "Surprise," He threw the grenade into Elena's hands.

"Oh my god!" She acted quickly, throwing the grenade in the air. It exploded loudly and rained back down on all of them. "This isn't a joke to me, Ric,"

"You think I'm joking? Vampires will take whatever they want. They will hurt whoever they want. And they'll do it without remorse. It's their nature," Ric snapped.

"You don't have to use pronouns. You can say Stefan," Elena mumbled crossing her arms.

"Look, I get why you're here. Stefan hurt you. You don't want it to happen again," Ric sighed. He wasn't looking down on her or judging her. He just knew her better than she thought.

"But you think I'm crazy. To believe that I can protect myself from a vampire who's flipped the switch on his humanity," Elena said with a shake of her head.

"I think you found a way to get out of bed this morning. And that makes you the strongest person I know," Alaric explained, bending down to pick the sleeve with stakes on it up. "I think that you can pretty much do anything," He handed it to her and watched as she slowly smiled. Audrey smiled at her sister too. When they were finished training they all went back home so the girls could get ready for school. After showering, changing, and putting on a little makeup they left to meet up with Bonnie and Caroline. All four girls stood in front of Mystic Falls High School basking in it's glory.