Chapter 20- Falling

"Bailey, can I talk to you?" Kylie said as Bailey stormed downstairs on Monday morning.

"No. I don't want to hear anything you have to say me." Bailey snapped and slammed the door behind her. She had told her mother the same thing the previous morning, as well as on Saturday night after she got home from the park, but she wasn't giving up. She couldn't get it through her head that Bailey wanted nothing to do with her stupid scheme to lie to whoever was coming to dinner in a week.

She shoved her headphones in her ears aggressively, almost dropping her phone as she shoved it in her back pocket. She didn't want to go to school, but she didn't want to at home with her mum. She was going to be angry either way, but at least she had Calum at school. A tiny bit of sanity in the madness she felt trapped in.

"You look grumpy." Calum said, suddenly appearing at her side, panting a bit. Bailey took her headphone out and signalled for him to repeat himself.

"I said, you look grumpy."

"I always do apparently," she sighed. "Can't imagine why."

"Neither can I. You've got Reg. first, with me!" Calum exclaimed, throwing
his hands up in the air.

"Oh joy." Bailey muttered monotonously. "I can barely contain my excitement."

"Of course you can't. I'm your favourite person."

"That's not hard Calum, I literally hate everyone." Bailey pointed out. "There is no competition."

"Ahhh, but you don't hate me." Calum sang, nudging Bailey's side.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that." She muttered in reply. "Where's thing one and thing two?"

"You're giving them nicknames too? I personally like mine the best."

"That's doesn't answer the question. You usually aren't further than three metres from each other."

"Mikey is probably still asleep," Calum replied, checking the time on his phone, "and Luke is ill."

"What a shame."

"You're the one that asked!" Calum exclaimed, frowning at the sarcasm in Bailey's voice.

"I wanted to know so I could get away from you quicker," Bailey replied, stepping through the school gates quickly followed by Calum.

"Well, looks like you're stuck with me for a bit longer. I'm sure it'll be great fun." Calum said, throwing his arm around Bailey's shoulder.

"Can you not-?" Bailey said quietly, flinching away slightly from the contact. Calum immediately withdrew his arm and looked at the ground.

"I'm sorry Bailey," he said quickly. He should have known Bailey was going to be wary about physical contact after what happened. He wanted to kick himself for being such an idiot.

"It's okay Calum. I'm just a bit-"

"I get it. I totally understand and I'm sorry... again."

Bailey shook her head, trying hard to conceal the small smile on her face.

"Let's just get to Reg."
---------------------------------------------