Chapter 7- Shattered

"Bailey! Why is there a smashed picture frame on the floor?" Kylie yelled from the living room. Bailey smirked, wandering through from the kitchen. Her mother was standing at the other side of the room with her arms folded, glaring at her daughter.

"I don't know mum." Bailey said innocently, " I have no idea how it got there."

"Bailey!" He mother growled.

"Mum!" Bailey mocked.

"You were alone in the house for a week, you must know how the picture smashed."

"I don't know, it must have fallen."

"And landed at the other side of the room?"

"Must of flew." Bailey replied, her smirk growing as she watched her mum get angrier.

"Bailey! What happened to the picture?" Kylie demanded.

"Clearly it smashed Mother."

"HOW DID IT SMASH?" Kylie yelled, causing Bailey to jump slightly.

"I threw it."

"You threw it?"

"Yep." Bailey said, nodding proudly. "I have a question for you mum, why is the only picture in this house is of Darryl, the MAN WHO ABUSED ME!" Her mother remained silent, awkwardly avoiding Bailey's angry glare. "ANSWER ME! THERE ISN'T A SINGLE PICTURE OF ME OR DAD IN THIS HOUSE BUT THERE IS ONE OF DARRYL!"

"I did date him for 8 years Bailey," Kylie reasoned, still avoiding eye contact. She could feel the anger radiating of her daughter.

"WHICH HE SPENT ABUSING ME! YOU SEE THIS SCAR," Bailey yelled, pointing at her elbow, "THAT WAS HIM! YOU SEE THIS ONE, THAT WAS HIM TOO. AS WELL AS EVERY SINGLE OTHER SCAR ON MY BODY!"

"I kicked him out didn't I?"

"ONLY BECAUSE THAT MADE YOU LOOK LIKE A GOOD PARENT! YOU DIDN'T DO IT FOR MY WELLBEING, YOU KICKED HIM OUT BECAUSE YOU WOULD LOOK BAD IF YOU STAYED WITH THE MAN WHO HIT YOUR CHILD!" Bailey screamed, advancing on her mother, who backed up against the wall. " YOU HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING FOR ME! YOU WERE TOO IN LOVE WITH THAT JACKASS TO NOTICE THAT I WAS IN PAIN! YOU DIDN'T SEE THE BRUISES. YOU DIDN'T SEE THE TEARS. ALL YOU SAW WAS THE MAN WHO LIED TO YOUR FACE AND ACTED LIKE EVERYTHING WAS OKAY!"

Kylie stood a foot away from her, completely silent. Tears were running down her cheeks, not because her daughter was yelling at her, or because her daughter had suffered years of abuse. She as crying because of Bailey reminded her that the man she loved wasn't here anymore and that he had been a liar and an abuser. She didn't want to think about him like that. She still loved him. He had "looked after" her child whilst she was too busy working. He had treated her like a princess, taking her on holidays to Spain and Lanzarote. She missed him.

"Are you not going to say anything?" Bailey spat,"are you just going to stand feeling sorry for yourself?"

"He was so nice...." She whispered, staring at the ground.

"Yeah, to you. You were so blinded by that, that you forgot to bother about your only child, and see if I was alright. But you've never cared have you? Not once in the 17 years I've been on this planet." Kylie didn't say anything, she just stared at the ground awkwardly, shuffling her feet. Bailey shook her head at her mother and stormed out, leaving Kylie to clean up the shattered glass.
----------------------------------------------

Bailey couldn't believe her mother. After everything she'd been through, after the dickhead made a full confession, she was still defending him. She was still defending a man who caused her daughter years of misery. Who yelled and screamed at Bailey until she was in tears. Who told Bailey she was useless from the age of 8. The man who had put her child in hospital more times than Bailey could remember. The man who held a knife to her throat aged 11. The man who broke her arm when she was 12, and her ribs when she was 14. She was still defending his pathetic ass, claiming that he was "so nice..." Bailey wanted to scream, and smash something, but she was so emotionally drained that she couldn't find it within herself to do so. So she turned to her old release, alcohol.

Her mother had bought a new bottle of her favourite Vodka as soon as she got back. Bailey had seen her hide it in the cupboard under the sink, behind some bleach. Not a very smart place to store alcohol.  When she knew her mother was asleep, Bailey creeped downstairs and grabbed the bottle and a shot glass.

"You really need some better hiding places mum," she mumbled, pouting herself a shot. She knocked it back, enjoying the burning sensation in her throat. She took shot after shot, knocking each one back in quick succession, letting the alcohol flow through her veins. Bailey drank until she couldn't fill the glass any longer, her vision was too blurry. Sighing, she made her way back up to her room, and collapsed onto her bed. Her eyes drooped shut and she was asleep in seconds.
----------------------------------------------

"Bailey, you were drinking again?" Her mum yelled, waking Bailey up as she stormed into her room.

"Muumm," she groaned, burying her face in her pillow, "get out of my room."

"Bailey..."

"Mum..."

"You need to stop drinking Bailey, it's by good for you. What sort of mother would I look like if I just let my daughter drink herself into a coma?"

"Mum...you're a shit mother anyway." Bailey muttered. "It wouldn't make a difference."

"You know what? Fine. You throw away your life and die from liver failure. See if I care." Kylie snapped and stormed out of the room. Bailey lifted her head slightly, looking at the door in shock.

"Well that was interesting," she mumbled, before collapsing back down on her bed. She knew it was Tuesday, meaning that she had to go to school. But going to school with a hangover was a mistake she had made before and she wasn't going to go it again. Her mother had probably already left for work. Sleep quickly took over again, and the throbbing pain in her head numbed to nothing as she slept.

Updating a day early because I won't have wifi tomorrow. 😕