Chapter 8- Skipping

Calum kicked a stone along the worn down path, Sleeping With Sirens blaring in his ears. He knew he shouldn't be here and he should really be in school, but sitting in a crowded room full of loud teenagers didn't appeal to him at that moment. He threw his school bag down under a tree and sat down on the tyre swing attached to a high branch, staring at the trees around him. He had been coming here for years, to escape from his father when it got too much. His dad had built the swing when he was younger, for him and his older sister Mali to use. The small clearing wasn't too far from their house, but not many people knew it was there, so it was perfect for when Calum needed to think or calm down.

He picked up a stone of the ground and threw it up a couple of times before launching it at a tree nearby. He hated his father, he despised the man, so why was he so upset? Why was he so bothered by the fact his father kicked him out? He had thought about running away for years. He had hoped his father was going to kick him out. He spent more time at the Hemmings' than he did at home and yet he was still upset. He didn't want to be. He wanted to be happy that he didn't have to put up with his father's angry rants about his attitude or behaviour. He wanted to be glad he wasn't living there anymore, but he wasn't. He actually missed his father, despite him hating the man's guts.

He threw stone after stone until he felt too weak to carry on. He wiped away the tears that were rolling down his face and stared blankly at the ground, music still blaring through his headphones. He wasn't paying attention to the lyrics anymore, he wasn't even paying attention to the beat. He barely even noticed there was any noise at all.

His own father hated him. His own father didn't want him. His own father thought his dream was pathetic. Calum let out a sob, burying his face in his hands. If his own father didn't believe in him, who would?

He didn't even know if his mother believed in him. She was in America, with her new husband and his older sister was over there too. He hadn't spoken to either of them for a year. For all he knew, they could hate him as much as his father did. Every time he tried to contact them, they were never in or they didn't pick up.

It was dark before Calum finally wiped the tears off his face and took a deep breath, composing himself. He hated his dad for making him feel like this. He had a new family, a better family, he had a nice house, great friends and a dream that he could finally work towards without football getting in the way, yet his father still made him feel terrible, even when he was nowhere in sight. He picked up his bag and stood up, taking one final look at the clearing before heading home.
----------------------------------------------

Liz was the first one to pull Calum into a hug when he walked through the door at 11pm. His face was still red and blotchy from crying, but he was too tired to care.

"Oh Calum. I was so worried. Luke said you weren't at school this afternoon and then you didn't come home for tea and...."

"I'm fine Liz, I promise. I just didn't feel like going to school, and then I lost track of time. I'm sorry." Calum said, pulling away from the hug.

"Never do that again. Promise?"

"I promise Liz."
----------------------------------------------

"BAILEY WINTERS, YOU SKIPPED SCHOOL!"

"Yes, I know," Bailey muttered, rolling over in her bed. She felt a lot better after sleeping through her hangover, but her mother's yelling was not helping the headache that she still had. Kylie stormed into her daughter's bedroom, which Bailey had finally got round to organising whilst her mother was away in New York.

"Do you not care at all?"

"No, not particularly," Bailey shrugged, "but then you don't care about me so..."

"I do care about you Bailey." Kylie sighed, sitting down on her bed.

"You've got a funny way of showing it."

"Why do you have to be so difficult Bailey? I'm trying to be nice and you just throw it back in my face,"

"Maybe it's because you've never given a shit before in my life, and just because you suddenly decide to acknowledge you have a kid, doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly like you."

"Now I can see why Darryl hit you, you probably deserved it." Kylie said, standing up. Bailey jumped out of bed, and advanced toward her mother, clenching her fists by her side.

"You take that back!" She growled, " no child ever, EVER, deserves to be hit, you hear me.You would know that if you were a half decent human being. You are a terrible excuse of a mother, and I can't wait until I can move out away from you!"

"Don't you dare speak to me like that young lady!" Kylie shouted, clenching her fists by her sides, "I am your mother!"

"Hardly." 

" I CARRIED YOU AROUND FOR 9 MONTHS INSIDE ME AND THIS IS WHAT I GET IN RETURN?"

"YOU HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING ELSE FOR ME SINCE!" Bailey screamed, gripping at the roots of her hair. "You know what I'm done. You'll probably be gone when I get back, don't bother to leave a note." She stormed out of her room, slamming the door behind her and left the house.

What sort of mother tells their daughter they deserved to get hit? It's messed up. Bailey slammed her fist into the side of her house, watching as the knuckles split open and blood trickle down her hand. She hated her mother, she really hated her.  With one last look at her house, she set off down the street, angrily glaring at anyone who passed. She had no idea where she was going, but she didn't care. The further away from Kylie she was, the better.

A/N- I have too much of an emotional attachment to Bailey.