Frodo and Sam

Frodo was standing on the shore, a few tears on his face. I floated over behind him, thinking he would see me, but he didn't. My vision was a little bright, and I looked down at my hands, which I had expected to be dirty and crusted with mud. But my skin was clean. And glowing slightly. I was almost like a light bulb, with pale white light radiating off every inch of my body.

Frodo finally looked back at me, his face still wet. "I'm sorry, Jen," he said, not looking bothered by the fact that I was glowing. "I have to go to Mordor, alone."

I couldn't help smiling warmly at what he said. I hugged him tightly for a moment before releasing him and going to one of the boats. Frodo put the Ring into his breast pocket and climbed in, letting me push him off. He pulled out an oar and began to paddle on his own, but I pushed him anyways. About three feet from the shore I wondered why I wasn't getting wet and looked down at my feet.

Oh, well that's totally normal. This kind of thing happens every day. Just a regular old thing that doesn't make me freak out in any way. I'm totally not freaking out right now.

My shoes were about a centimeter underwater, and I was walking on it. On the water. My eyes widened, but I didn't stop pushing Frodo's boat. We got about ten feet from shore before I heard Sam.

"Frodo!" he called as soon as he came out of the tree line. "Frodo, no! Frodo!"

A strange feeling washed over me, like I forgot something, but I didn't know what or where. Nevertheless, I looked back at Sam, but Frodo said something I didn't catch, so I quickly looked back at him. Frodo didn't stop, so I didn't stop, not until Sam began to walk into the water.

"Go back, Sam!" Frodo called. "I'm going to Mordor alone!"

"Of course you are!" Sam called back. "And I'm coming with you!"

"You can't swim!" Frodo yelled, now sounding worried. Sam tried to go forward, but couldn't. He couldn't move from where he was, and he was running out of breath quickly. "Sam!" Frodo yelled. "Sam!" Sam's head went underwater and I sighed heavily, pushing Frodo's boat so it would turn and then moving it forward.

Jeez, I have to do all the work, I thought to myself, and Frodo suddenly began paddling.

I could see Sam sinking and running out of oxygen in my mind's eye. He was fighting to reach the top of the water, but then his lungs emptied, and he could fight no more. I saw his hand, limp in the murky river's water, and then another hand gripped it. Sam's hand gripped it back, and the other hand (which I see belongs to Frodo) pulls him up and into the boat.

Sam coughed and sputtered, clearing his lungs. Once he sat up on his knees and got his lungs cleared, he looked into Frodo's eyes. "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise: 'Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to. I don't mean to."

"Oh, Sam," Frodo said, and they began to cry as they hugged each other for a moment. When they parted, Frodo gripped Sam's shoulders. "Come on," he said, and they both grabbed an oar. I began to push their boat again and got to the middle of the lake before releasing it. They didn't seem to notice. I looked back at the shore I had just come from and saw Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli loading a body into a boat.

Wait, is that....

Boromir's sword was placed over his chest and his hands were wrapped around the hilt, his shield behind his head. He looked comfortable and peaceful, and it made my eyes well up. A single tear fell down my cheek as they pushed his boat out and let it go towards the water fall. I watched the boat disappear over the edge before drying my face and starting towards the shore.

"Hurry!" I could hear Legolas saying as he pushed a boat out towards the water. "Frodo and Sam have reached the eastern shore." He turned back to Aragorn, who was messing with something on his arm. He glanced across the water at the two Hobbits, who were already in the trees. His eyes connected with mine, but I just looked away.

"You mean not to follow him," Legolas said quietly, and Aragorn finally spoke.

"Frodo's fate is no longer in our hands," he said to the Elf.

"Then it has all been in vain," Gimli said as he came to the two. "The Fellowship has failed."

I reached the shore and came to stand next to Legolas, letting my determination show in my eyes. Aragorn stood up, coming over to us and putting his hands on mine and Gimli's shoulders.

"Not if we hold true to each other," Aragorn said, looking into Legolas and Gimli's eyes before looking into mine. Gimli put his hand on Aragorm's arm. "We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death," he continued. "Not while we have strength left." He goes back to where he was sitting. "Leave all that can be spared behind," he told us, picking up his dagger and sliding it back into its scabbard. "We travel light." He looks back at us, looking confident. "Let's hunt some Orc."

I couldn't help grinning as he started off for the woods. I ran after him, and I heard Gimli say, "Yes!" very loudly before they both began to follow us.

In my mind's eye I saw Frodo and Sam reaching the top of a mountain. I looked out over the landscape and saw the black moutains acting like a border around Mordor, and saw that they weren't very far from it. "Mordor," Frodo said. "I hope the other find a safer road."

Sam looked at him. "Strider'll look after them," he said reassuringly. Then he looked back at the black mountains.

"I don't suppose we'll ever see them again," Frodo said sadly.

"We may yet, Mr. Frodo," Sam told him. "We may."

Frodo smiled. "Sam," he said, turning to face him, "I'm glad you're with me." Sam smirked and they continued towards the big, threatening mountains. I could't help smiling as I continued to run.