Staying With My Friends

Jaisa took me back to the room I had slept in. I got my dagger and was about to leave when Jaisa's soft voice stopped me. "You're very loyal to your friends."

"They're the only real friends I've ever had." I was surprised how different our voices sounded. Hers soft, with an accent. Mine rough, and boring, and exhausted. "I'm loyal because they've risked their lives for me, and I for them."

"So you'll go with them? You won't give this place a chance? Your true home?"

This made me turn to face her. "This isn't my home." Then I turned back and went to find the Fellowship, Jaisa just behind me.

It took me a while, but I eventually found the Fellowship. They were all asleep. I found a place a ways away from them and sat down, listening to the sounds of the woods.

Jaisa let me and left without another word. I hoped I would see her again.

It was a long time before I heard anyone actually waking up. There was a lot of shuffling and stirring, but was somewhere around an hour later that I could actually hear anyone waking up. And it took even longer for them to notice I was even there. Either that or no one knew how to approach me. I mean, I did look pretty menacing just staring hatefully at the landscape in front of me and holding my dagger in front of me, the tip of it on the end of my finger. Finally I heard heavy footsteps coming towards me and someone sat beside me.

"We missed you here," Aragorn's rough, yet gentle, voice said. "Gimli almost beheaded an elf or two when they took you away."

That made me laugh a little.

He offered his leather-clad hand out to the dagger and I handed it to him. He gave it a once-over and handed it back to me. "I'm glad you've treated it well."

I smiled a little, and put it in its sheath.

"We must leave now," he said, patting my leg, and standing up. "Come."

==========================

Leaving my new sister was harder than I thought it would be. Well, technically she wasn't new, more like my I-just-found-out-you-exist sister. As the Fellowship lined up to say goodbye to the elf witch, Jaisa pulled me aside. She gave me a hug, which I didn't expect, and sighed. I stiffly returned it.

"I have something for you," she muttered, and pulled away. "Well, more than one something."

She first gave me a cloak. It was a smokey gray, and she wrapped it around my shoulders and buttoned it at the neck. The button was a silver star, and was absolutely beautiful. "It's a magic cloak," she whispered to me. "It will help you with your magic - channeling it better and what not." Then, she gave me beautifully crafted longbow, which looked similar to Legolas's new one, and stood up to the center of my torso. Then, a matching quiver full of beautiful and dangerously sharp arrows. Then, a sword. It was almost the height of my leg, but perfectly balanced, easy to hold and swing, and was absolutely amazing. She helped me put all of the gear on and, just before I left, told me to close my eyes and pretend I was absolutely weightless. I felt a tingling sensation go over my body like a wave. The ground was no longer under my feet and I opened my eyes and looked down.

I was levitating. Almost like I was in Moria, except I wasn't levitating a few milimeters - I was levitating a few feet.

I thought my eyes would pop out of my head and my jaw would hit the forest floor.

Jaisa laughed a tinkling laugh, almost like a small bell, and I couldn't help smiling. "I told them not to prepare a fourth boat so you could enjoy yourself," she said, still laughing.

I floated back down to the ground and wrapped my arms around her. "Thank you," I whispered as she returned the gesture. "Thank you so much."

"We will see each other again soon," she promised, and released me. "We will. And stay close to Aragorn. Getting lost will not be easy to get out of."

I nodded and smiled and she led me back to the others, who were already in the boats.

"Where will Jenakin sit?" Sam asked, looking around. "There's no room."

"She does not need a place," my sister replied, and smiled at me. "Just be careful."

I nodded, and my smile grew. I hugged her one last time as the boats pulled away. I closed my eyes and pretended I was weightless, like a feather, or just plain old air. The tingling feeling came back and suddenly my feet were off the ground.

I waved to Jaisa as I began to follow the three boats.

===========================

I tried to concentrate as I floated along with the boats, but it was hard not to go flying off. I wanted to test my abilities out, but I knew I shouldn't, especially since I was still so weak. And because we were being followed. I knew the Uruk-Hai were not far behind us.

"Frodo," Aragorn said quietly a long time later, snapping me out of my thoughts. I had been trying to figure out something that Gandalf had told me just before he died. "The Argonath." I looked up at the two really huge statues. The were both standing the same way, their backs to the left with their hand up, palm out and flat, as if telling us to stop. "Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin." The one to our left had its right hand out as if holding itself up with the earth beside it. The one on our right was holding something in its right hand, maybe a book, or a small scroll. They were wearing armor and long robes, and their helmets were open enough to show their blank faces, the one with the scroll had lots of facial hair, and the other had none. I watched in amazement as we passed, my back facing the river below me, and very nearly fell behind. I was about six feet away from the group when Aragorn called to me, snapping me out of my thoughts yet again. I rushed ahead, the open water almost calling to me. I was sure to stay fairly close, but it was very hard. I flew forward rather quickly, watching my reflection in the water as I went, and let my hand touch the icy brown, even though it really was like sticking my hand into frozen water. After a moment I made a semi-circle and went back across the lake back to the Fellowship. They had just run aground when I got there, so I helped them push the boats up and unpack the supplies. When my feet finally touched the ground I felt exhausted. Aragorn noticed and told me to lie down. For once, I didn't go against his wishes. I floated over to a bit of ruined staircase and laid down across the steps. Once my eyes closed, I was out; Comatose.

===========================

"We cross the lake at nightfall," Aragorn told the Company. I turned my head and saw my small form across the steps, wrapped in my cloak. I was having another out-of-body experience. "Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the North."

"Oh, yes?" Gimli snapped. "Just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil, an impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks. And after that, it gets even better! Festering, stinking marshland as far as the eye can see."

"That is our road," Aragorn said calmly. "I suggest you get some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf."

"Recover my -" Gimli growled, offended.

Legolas, who I had just noticed had been staring into the woods the whole time, crossed over to Aragorn and began whispering to him. It didn't matter to me, I could still hear him. "We should leave now," he told him.

"No," Aragorn replied. "Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness."

"It is not the eastern shore that worries me," Legolas told him, looking back out at the woods. "A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near." He turned back to Aragorn. "I can feel it."

Merry appeared with a bunch of sticks in his arms, and dumped them onto the ground.

"Recover strength?" Gimli growled and looked at Pippon. "Pay no heed to that, young Hobbit."

"Where's Frodo?" Merry asked suddenly.

I realized Frodo was gone. I looked over to where Boromir was, and saw he was gone as well. I gasped and immediately began to float over the forest, finding Frodo in no time.

But Boromir was there first.