The Escape

2/3

The cave-troll roared a horribly-smelling roar, and Legolas shot an arrow into it's shoulder. It roared and threw it's club down towards Sam, who ducked and ran between his legs. The troll was confused for a moment, looking down between his legs for Sam, then roared, giving up.

I was too busy fighting off Orcs to pay attention to where the Hobbits were. I saw Gimli throw his axe into the shoulder of the troll and the club broke the end of the coffin just as Gimli jumped off. He fought off one Orc before ducking another swing from the troll, which hit another Orc, and ducking another swing, which hit another Orc, and then he lost his balance and crashed to the ground. Legolas hit it in the shoulder with two arrows before resuming fighting off the Orcs in front of him.

I give Gandalf credit for being the oldest person there and kicking butt way more awesomely than anyone else there, and we were all less than half his age.

The troll turned his attention to Legolas and flicked his chain like a whip towards him. Legolas ducked at the last second and narrowly avoided being slapped with half a ton of iron. He flicked it again, again narrowly missing Legolas. He flicked it again, Legolas jumping out of the way. He flicked it again, this time hitting a column and the chain wrapped around. Legolas put his foot on it to make sure it stayed on the column and quickly walked across it up to its head. He shot his arrow into it and jumped off. The troll broke his way loose and turned to me.

It roared, and I screamed, just barely getting out of the way of the club before it came down on the floor with a huge crack! I felt the wind from it as it passed behind me, like a harsh breeze, it came so close. I lost my balance and tried to catch myself but only tripped over the huge wooden club, falling flat onto my back. I rolled out of the way just as it came down again.

Suddenly it was going after Merry, Pip and Frodo. Pip cried out as he and Merry fell to the right and Frodo was pushed to the left. "Frodo!" Strider yelled, but could in no way get to him in time. Frodo hid behind the column but I had to turn my attention away from him. I was too busy fighting Orcs to turn my attention even for a second. He was screaming Aragorn's name and Aragorn went to him, getting in front of the troll and sending his spear thing into it's gut. It stopped with it's club over it's head and dropped it, Merry and Pip throwing rocks at it. It backhanded Aragorn into the wall, Frodo rushing to him and trying to shake him awake. At that point I was back to fighting for my life. I turned just in time to see the troll stabbing into Frodo's side. I screamed bloody murder, I admit it, and charged toward it, my sword drawn, and cutting down everything that passed me in one swing. Merry and Pip yelled and ran and jumped onto it's back, stabbing their dull swords into it to keep hold.

"Frodo!" Sam called, panic in his voice. "Frodo!" Sam yelled again, running toward him.

Merry and Pip were on it's back, slicing it up, with me stabbing and cutting its legs and stomach, sticking the occasional punch. It grabbed Merry off its back and swung him around like a toy, eventually throwing him to the side. Gimli and Gandalf had joined me, also cutting him with their weapons.

There was a deep gash in his chest, and Gimli fell as the troll whiped the blood from it, roaring. Legolas shot it between the lips, and it went all the way through his head and stuck out the back. It stumbled around for a moment before falling onto its stomach, flinging Pip off onto his back on the floor.

I ran to Frodo and collapsed onto my knees. Strider turned Frodo's body over and Frodo groaned in pain; Not a single scratch was on him.

Sam rushed over to stand beside me. "He's alive," he said with relief.

Frodo sat up. "I'm all right. I'm not hurt."

"You should be dead!" Strider exclaimed. "That spear would've skewered a wild boar."

Gandalf stumbled forward a bit. "I think there's more to the Hobbits than meets the eye."

Frodo unbuttoned his shirt to reveal a shiny pearly-white chain mail shirt.

"Mithril." Gimli breathed. "You are full of surprises, Master Baggins."

I could hear more screeching and looked at Gandalf. I saw the shadows of dozens of goblins on a wall of a nearby door that I hadn't seen before and turned back to Gandalf.

"To the Bridge of Kazad-dûm!" He hauled me to my feet and pulled me after him as we ran out of the room and back into Dwarrowdelf. We ran until my knees could no longer take the stress of it. The Orcs, or whatever they were, were close behind. They climbed out from the ceiling and down columns. My knees gave out mid-step, and I crashed to the ground. Luckily I was beside Gandalf and Strider peeled me off the ground, putting his arm around my waist. Honestly, I felt a little bad. He was doing most of the work. As soon as I thought about it, I felt my feet being lifted off the floor, just a little, hardly noticeable. I was still moving forward, but my feet weren't on the floor. It was only a few millimeters, so Strider never noticed. Then I was back on the ground, slowly recovering strength in my knees.

Suddenly we were all stopping. I peeled my eyes off the floor and looked at the hideous beasts surrounding us. There were hundreds. Possibly even thousands. And in no possible way am I being dramatic. Strider drew his sword and I slowly drew mine. "Can you stand?" he whispered in my ear. I nodded and he slowly peeled me from his sweaty side. My breathing became light and in no way deep. I felt the walls closing in around me. I could hardly get breath into my lungs. I almost had to go into control breathing until I was pulled into the center of the group. My breathing began to even out extremely slowly and my lungs felt like they had acid poured into them. Frodo gently took my hand, making me jump. I looked at him and he smiled. I gave a small, nervous smile back. We stood there for a long, empty moment, waiting.

A deep noise sounded in the distance, like a fire roaring. There was a bright orange glow a few hundred yards away from where we stood.

The goblins panicked around us.

Another roar came, this one louder than the first. The goblins began screaming and running back up into the ceiling. Gimli laughed at their cowardness. I would have joined them if I wanted to, adrenaline alone enough to power me. The orange light and the strange glowing grew closer. Legolas had his bow pointed and was having trouble finding a place to aim. Finally he put it down.

"What us this new devilry?" Boromir asked Gandalf. He didn't reply. I looked at Gandalf, whose eyes were scrunched closed. My heart was in my throat, blood pounding in my throat. I didn't need Gandalf to tell me what was coming. I already knew.

"A Balrog," he said finally. "A demon of the ancient world."

I was already stumbling away.

"This foe is beyond any of you. Run!"