The Ring Of Power

I heard Fodo's voice before he even got to the door.

"Bilbo!" he called. He pushed the door open. "Bilbo!" he called again.

He took a step, stopped, looked at his feet, and stooped to pick up the ring that Bilbo had dropped. Gandalf sat in a chair by the fire smoking his pipe and muttering what he heard from Bilbo or something. I sat behind him, my head on the wall, looking up at the ceiling.

"He's gone, hasn't he?" Frodo asked, holding up the ring. "He talked for so long about leaving...I didn't think he'd really do it."

He walked over to Gandalf. "Gandalf?"

Gandalf came out of his trance and looked at the ring in Frodo's hand. He smiled. "Bilbo's ring." He got the envelope from the mantle. "He's gone to stay with the Elves. He's left you Bag End." Gandalf held out the envelope. Frodo carefully dropped the ring in. "Along with all of his possesstions," he added. He sealed the envelope with a hot wax stamp. "The ring is yours now." He held out the envelope and Frodo accepted it hesitently.

"Put it somewhere out of sight," Gandalf advised.

"Where are you going?" Frodo asked as Gandalf got up and walked out, with us trailing behind.

"There are things that I must see to." he answered quickly.

"What things?"

"Questions," Gandalf replied. "Questions that need answering."

"You've only just arrived. I don't understand."

Gandalf paused at the doorway. He turned and faced Frodo. "Neither do I."

Gandalf got very close to him. "Keep it secret." His hand went to Frodo's shoulder. "Keep it safe. Jenakin, come."

I stopped by Frodo, gave him a reassuring smile, and followed Gandalf out the door. He took the horse from the carriage and mounted it, pulling me up to sit in front of him.

"We must ride to Minas Tirith. I must read the last known record of Isildur, the one who cut off the hand of the great sorcerer, Sauron. That is one of the reasons Bilbo had the ring tonight. He found it."

===========================

We rode for a days and I was practically dead when we finally made it. I have to admit, Minas Tirith was much bigger in person.

Gandalf wasted no time. He dragged me straight to the castle and a man showed us to a room full of old pages. I sneezed at the amount of dust in the room. Gandalf told me one of those pages had the account of Isildur, and that he had seen it himself. Once in, he lit his pipe and began searching. A while later he found it.

He read it aloud, but I wasn't really paying attention to it at all. Something about fading writing and fire "can tell".

While on the way back, I fell asleep while still on the horse. Instead of dreaming, I had a vision.

===========================

I saw a volcano. A volcano that looked like it was fixing to erupt.

Nearby was a big, black castle lit up almost everywhere. Even outside I could here something screaming.

"Shire!" it yelled as loud as its lungs could bear. "Baggins!"

I was suddenly in front of a set of gigantic doors. They opened, and about nine black, cloaked men on chessnut horses stampeded out. They screamed, and I jarred awake. Gandalf shook me gently. "Get up. We're here." He carefully let me down from the horse, climbing of after me. "I saw your vision, Mira. Now that you know the truth, you must leave the name of Mira behind. No one can know your true name. From now on you are Jenakin. Do you understand?" I nodded and tried to keep up with what he was saying. He barged into Frodo's house and immediately went searching for the ring.