The Long Dark

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry it took me so long to update!!!

So, for my horribleness, I give you not one, not two, but THREE chapters!

Catch ya later! Don't forget to vote plzzzzz!!!!!!

1/3

=========================

Four days in a cave sounded like the worst possible torture there was. Then we hit a really steep staircase. I was still too weak to walk, much less climb, so I had to ride on Strider's back. But that wasn't it. When we got to the top, there was a fork in the road.

There were three possible ways to go: The middle and left ones both went down, and the one on the right went up.

"I have no memory of this place," said Gandalf.

We sat in silence for a long time. It was dark and cold, and I was really tired. I sat by Gandalf, struggling to remember which way to go. My brain was so tired from the mountain that I couldn't even remember which way was right and which was left. I looked at Frodo, who was looking at something behind us. He looked frightened as he came to tell us what he saw.

"There's something down there!" he whispered.

"Its Gollum," Gandalf replied.

"Gollum?"

"He's been following us for three days."

"He escapes the dungeons of Barad-dûr?"

"Escaped . . ." Gandalf turned to look at Frodo. "Or was set loose."

We all looked back to see him quietly staring at us.

"He hates and loves the Ring," Gandalf explained. "As he hates and loves himself. He will never be rid of his need for it."

"It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance," Frodo said fiercely.

"Pity?" Gandalf asked, looking at him. "It is pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal with death and judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over."

I looked back. Gollum was leaving.

"The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many," Gandalf ended.

Frodo sighed and sat down by me. "I wish the Ring had never come to me," he said. "I wish none of this had happened."

"So do all that live to see such times," said Gandalf. "But that is not for them to decide."

Frodo looked up at him.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Frodo looked back down.

"There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, in which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought."

Frodo looked at me and I smiled, nodding.

"Oh!" said Gandalf, and we both looked at him. "It's that way!" he said, his head motioning to the middle path.

"He's remembered!" said Merry.

"No," said Gandalf. "But the air doesn't smell so foul down here." He put his hat back on and looked at Merry, who was behind him. "If in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose."