Gift

"I sense deep magic... Very vague... Yet very powerful... It will be here soon... Sooner than we would expect..."

"What should you have me do?"

A pause.

"You must take care of this, Gandalf. It will be difficult, but we must do something. We cannot risk it hurting all of Middle-Earth."

Footsteps.

A face. With long, gray, wavy locks.

"Come to me."

============================

I woke up sweating and panting in my bed. I felt like I was laying in a puddle of sweat so I took a shower and put on clean clothes. That dream had been happening for a long time. I'm not sure how long.

I tiredly walked downstairs and got a bowl of cereal. Benji, my uncle, was down there flirting with his wife Diana. Her kids were still asleep.

"Morning, M," Benji said loudly. Diana nodded as if she was disgusted.

She hated me, as if that wasn't clear. She always thought it was my fault that my parents were dead. Even though everyone knew I was no where near when it happened. She was just looking for a reason to get rid of me. I nodded, and began eating my cereal.

After I finished, I washed my bowl. Then washed all the dishes. Diana just glared at me the whole time, but I just smiled and continued. When I was finished I grabbed my backpack and ran off to the bus stop. My phone buzzed in my back pocket. I whipped it out and checked it.

"Have fun at school today, M." It was from Benji. I smiled, but didn't reply. The bus pulled up and I climbed on. I sat in my usual seat in the middle.

After twenty minutes, Brian, my best friend, sat beside me. "Hey, Mira."

I smiled.

"How have you been today?" he asked. I showed him a thumbs up and smiled again. "Good."

We sat awkwardly for a minute. Then Audrey got on. Audrey is one of the many people who completely despise me. She sat on the seat next to us and smiled the most beautiful smile she could muster at Brian.

"Hey there, Brian. Why don't you come sit with me instead of Mira?" She smiled again.

He smiled a dazzling smile and politely refused. She smiled again and then narrowed her eyes at me. Waving at Brian, she walked away.

"Well," he said laughing, "that was intense."

I laughed and he blushed.

"I miss your voice, Mira. I wish you would talk to me."

My smile disappeared. Thankfully, the bus stopped at school and we got off just as the bell rang and I had first period without him. I calmly walked in and sat in my assigned seat.

Audrey sat behind me. "You might have Brian now," she said quietly, "but soon enough, he'll be mine."

I turned, smiled, and ripped out my phone. I typed, "Well, have fun trying, but I don't think that will work. At least, that's what I think. I might be wrong."

Her smile disappeared. "Be glad you're a mute."

Class started.

============================

When school was over, I piled into my seat and almost broke down in tears. When Brian came, he sat down carefully and put his arm around me. "That bad, huh?"

A tear fell down my cheek as I nodded.

He squeezed me. "It's not your fault. They just need to feel good and superior to something. If anything, feel bad for them."

I nodded and wiped my eyes. Then I smiled, and took out my phone.
"Thanks," I typed.

"No problem."

When he got off, I got a text. "Hey, Mira. Hope you had fun at school, and hope you like where you live." It was my grandpa. The text went on for a while longer. Basically, he was coming to visit and he had a present for me. A book. Well, I just hoped the book was interesting.

============================

When I got home, Grandpa was sitting on the couch eating celery. When he saw me, he smiled and got up to hug me. Of course, I didn't return it.

"HOW ARE YOU, MIRA?" he boomed.

I smiled and wiped the spit off my face. He smiled back and hugged me again. Benji entered. "Why don't you give her her present, Dad?"

"OH, YEAH!"

He jumped back and picked up a small wrapped present and handed it to me. I uneasily opened it and held it up. The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I smiled very widely and hugged him.

"I KNEW YOU WOULD LIKE THIS."

I sat down and opened up the package. All three books tumbled into my lap. I smiled at him and then Benji told me to go up to my room. I pounded upstairs to my room and immediately started to read the first one. After an hour or two, they called me down to dinner. I ate really quickly, washed my plate quickly, and finally washed the dishes quickly. Then I went to bed fast and opened it again.

At 3:00 in the morning, I went to sleep.

============================

I woke up early to the sound of Diana screaming at me to get the mail. I groaned and pounded downstairs, throwing on a coat and my tennis shoes. I quickly got it and ran back inside. There were five bills for Benji and Diana, and one letter addressed to me.

I gave Diana their mail, and ran upstairs to read mine.  I ripped it open to see a sketch of the Ring of power from my book. It was really good.

I smiled, then pinned it up on my wall, knowing without really looking at the return address that it was from Brian. He always know just how to cheer me up.

I quickly got dressed in a pair of jeans and a black tee with my gray tennis shoes. I ran for the stairs, smelling breakfast. Of course, I tripped half way down. (What a cliche.) And hit my head really hard. (Double cliche.)

============================