Leaving The Shire

Frodo rushed around the house, packing food, water and other supplies for a long journey.

"You must leave," said Gandalf. "And leave quickly."

"Where?" Frodo asked. "Where do I go?"

"Get out of the Shire. Make for the village of Bree."

"Bree," Frodo repeated. "What about you?"

"I'll be waiting for you, at the inn of the Prancing Pony."

"And the Ring will be safe there?"

"I don't know, Frodo. I don't have any answers. I must see the head of my order. He is both wise and powerful. Trust me, Frodo. He'll know what to do." He smiled at Frodo, rushing him along.

"You'll have to leave the name of Baggins behind you," Gandalf told Frodo while he helped him slip on his coat. "That name is not safe outside the Shire."

Gandalf then helped Frodo pull on his pack. "Travel only by day. And stay off the road." He handed Frodo his walking stick.

"I can cut across country easily enough," said Frodo, putting the Ring in his pocket.

Gandalf looked at him and smiled. "My dear Frodo. Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years, they can still surprise you."

There was a rustle under the window. Gandalf signaled me to hide. "Get down," he told Frodo. Picking up his staff, he carefully walked over to the window, and forced it hard on the thing under it. There was a thud, a loud "Oh!", and a grunt. Frowning, Gandalf pulled his staff away and pulled the thing inside, forcing it on the table.

"Confound it all, Samwise Gamgee! Have you been eavesdropping?"

"I haven't been dropping no eaves, sir. Honest. I was just cutting the grass under the window, there!"

"A little late for trimming the verge, don't you think?"

Frodo stood up and dusted himself off.

"I heard raised voices-" said Samwize before Gandalf cut him off.

"What did you hear? SPEAK!"

Samwise jumped. "N-n-nothing important! That is I heard a great deal about a ring, and a Dark Lord and the end of the world, but - please, Mr. Gandalf, sir, don't hurt me. Don't turn me into anything... unnatural."

Gandalf's eyes got big. "No?"
He look at Frodo and smiled. Frodo smiled back. "Perhaps not."

He leaned in. "I've thought of a better use for you."

===========================

As we walked through the dark meadow, Gandalf told me about the journey he had to make to Isenguard.

"Come along, Samwise," he said impatiently. "Keep up." Sam ran to catch up.

After an hour or so of walking, Gandalf stopped. "Be careful. All of you. The enemy has many spies in his service. Birds, beasts." He looked at Frodo. "Is it safe?"

Frodo put his hand over his breast pocket.

"Never put it on, " warned Gandalf. "For the agents of the Dark Lord will be drawn to its power. Always remember, Frodo, the Ring is trying to get back to its master. It wants to be found." He patted Frodo's shoulder and glided up onto his saddle, riding off.

Sam walked up next to us, looking at me curiously. "Who's this?"

"This is Jenakin," said Frodo. "Jenakin, this is Sam." I smiled at him shyly and he smiled back.