.18

'Josh?' I called, following my usual route up the stairs.
He was in my room, sat on the edge of the bed with his phone in hand.
His face lit up when he saw me
'You speak to Ethan?' I nodded.
'Did you?' he nodded back, and I assumed they'd basically had the same conversation.
I moved to sit against the pillows of my bed, back pressed against the headboard.
'Vik is asleep on the couch. Ethan's in the garden with a cigarette.'
Josh hummed, his back now to me, and then moved so he was sat opposite me.
'Why do you care so much about love?'
I looked down at my feet.
I knew I had to step out of my comfort zone- and maybe this was the way how.
'You know when I was attacked?
It was around when I got that dumb dating app.'
Josh nodded in recognition.
'I was... I was going to meet a guy. We'd been talking for a few weeks. He told me he loved me, so I decided to... To go see him. Step out my comfort zone.'
Josh's hand flew towards his chest as his eyes flashed realisation.
'I was walking there, and he was texting me saying he couldn't wait to see me. To... to talk to me. And then it happened.'
Josh's eyebrows were drawn together in concern, his mouth moving slowly as he tried to form silent words.
'I texted him, in hospital. Said what happened. Asked him to come see me.' My voice faltered, and Josh placed a hand against mine.
'You don't have to...'
'I do. I texted him, and got a reply.
'It was just a hook-up, bro'
I texted him again, asking him to come see me, asked why he said he loved me, asked why the fuck he would do that.
'Just a hook-up. Deleting your number. GWS. X'
I was crushed.'
He was looking at me still.
'I didn't think I could feel right again, y'know? Thought I would never feel safe, or safe enough to love anyone.'
Josh moved forward, placed a kiss against my forehead.
'But hell, I would take another stabbing for this.' I mumbled.
I pressed my lips against his.

~~
the next chapter.
aka.
smut.