Chapter 32

Dealing with the worst
makes it harder
to trust the good

Four POV

"Tobias!" A stern voice booms from behind us.

The second I heard that voice, I felt everything inside me deflate and caused my blood to run ice cold. My whole body tensed and I break eye contact with Tris. Though, I can still see her through the corner of my eye. She's still looking at me, her facial expression screaming confusion and her eyes shining with concern.

Loud footsteps are heard in the quiet—for now—house. Every step that I hear him take seems to make my body tense more and more. Along with my heart to drop all the way down to the pit of my stomach. A cold feeling overcomes me as I can now see him standing in front of me. Well, his feet really since I'm staring at the ground.

"Oh, I didn't realize you had...company over." he says with a hint of distaste in his voice.

My head slowly rises until I'm looking him right in the eye, but I quickly look away from those black bottomless pits. "Uh, yeah..." I stutter out a bit.

A sigh escapes Tris. "I think I should go." she says. Then I feel a slight pressure against my cheek as I feel her turn my head to face her.

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" she says, her whole demeanor calm and understanding, but her eyes tell a different story. They hold worry in them and concern.

I nod. "Okay. I'll be fine." I say, whispering the last part and making sure to barely move my lips since Marcus is standing right in front of us. She quickly kisses me on the cheek, then gets up and walks out.

Not even a minute later, I hear the sound of the front door close. And at that very second, a sharp, burning pain goes through me as I feel my cheek get slapped.

My head whips to the side from the amount of force from the hit. "You're pathetic piece of shit. You really think she'll ever like you?" he hisses out.

I don't move my head at all from its position, I just keep it there. Turned to the side, still. I briefly close my eyes at his words, and sigh.

Marcus scoffs, and out of the corner of my eye I see him shake his head. "That's right, I saw the way you were looking at that bitch. What the hell would she ever see in you, of all people?"

My jaw clenched in anger at his words. It's too hard to try and block him out, like I usually do. All because this is about Tris. It's about Tris, which is why I can't help but listen to him.

"Do you actually believe that you'd have a chance with her?" he asks, then laughs menacingly. "You're too pitiful for her. A terrible excuse of a human being. And her...she's just some slut you probably just payed to date you."

"Why would you ever like her anyway? She's so small and skinny, almost like a pencil. I thought I taught you better than that, Tobias." he spits.

He continues to verbally harass me and criticize me. Putting me, my confidence, and my self esteem down. I still don't feel the least bit of regret for liking her. No matter what he says.

Eventually, I feel the stinging of a thick, leather object come in contact with my wrist. I wince and he pulls me down, using the belt to do so.