Chapter 31

Whatever you do,
work at it with
all your heart

Four POV

I sigh and push my fingers through my hair, effectively disheveling it a bit. Man, it was the perfect fucking moment. Then Mrs. Prior came and...I don't want to sound disrespectful, but she ruined it. She ruined the perfect moment. Okay, I can't blame her for us not kissing. It doesn't seem right to blame the mother of the girl I desperately like. That just seems wrong and really low.

I guess I'm just disappointed that we didn't get to kiss. I've wanted to for so long now. Yes, I have had a couple girlfriends in the past. I've had my first kiss. I've had my first time, so I'm no longer a virgin. But...as cliché as it sounds, I've never felt like this before about any other girl. Never have I felt this part of me that melts everytime I'm around the girl I liked, never have I been so weak around that said girl. Never have I felt so desperate for a girl I like.

This isn't just some teenage infatuation, as some people would say. It feels more than that, it is more than that. It's respect. It's care. Its vulnerability. It's weakness. It's strength. Do I even need to continue? Because I think not.

One thing I'm very relived about with all of this is that the feelings I hope were reciprocated, are indeed so. I know they are, or else she wouldn't have leaned in to kiss me.

Wait a minute.

For me it might've been my feelings for her. But for her...it might've been a spur of the moment kind of thing.

Fuck.

I groan and fall back on to my bed from my current sitting position. I'm going to have to talk to her about it. As awkward as it may be, I have to. But for now, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut.

I haven't told anyone about our almost-kiss. Not even Zeke knows. Though, I think he can tell I'm a bit more relaxed since I told Tris. Not much though. So I'm surprised if he even did notice.

Ding
Ding

I look over to where my phone lays on my dresser and see that I have a text from Tris. My hand reaches out to grab my phone and I unlock it, then go to the messages app.

Tris: Hey, can I come over? I wanted to talk to you.

My heart pounds against my chest as I read the last sentence. What does she want to talk about? Does she want to talk about the almost-kiss we had? Or something else?

Four: Yeah, sure.

I guess I'll be finding out soon what she wants to talk about.

Time Skip

Once I hear the sound of the door bell I rush down the stairs and to the wooden front door. As soon as I open it a blast of cold air hits my face and enters the house, making it a little cooler.

Tris stands there wearing a long sleeve dark green top, black leggings, brown furry boots, and a brown leather jacket.

"Hey," I say. "come on in."

She nods and steps inside while I shut the door behind her.

"So what did you want to talk about?" I ask as I take a seat on the white couch.