Chapter 53 - Robert Delaney (Ansel Conrad POV)Pt.1

Start from the beginning

"Okay but I felt as though Berty came into the house like he was trying to get a job," Peter says nodding to himself, thoughtfully. He runs a hand over his face, lids closing over sky blue colored irises.

"A job interview?"

Peter nods, brown hair falling over on his forehead.

"Like instead of mom saying she likes this one band, he said it first. Then he talked about pies, and before mom can say her favorite is rhubarb, he says how it's his favorite and has this amazing recipe, but not everyone likes the tartness of Rhubarb and strawberry pies. I mean it was like he knew what she liked, and then he spun the conversation so that she found herself agreeing and shocked that they enjoyed the same things."

His anger and indignation coat the words he speaks. Biting my bottom lip, I try to imagine the situation as Peter described but with the hostility in his tone, a smile and chuckle are threatening to come out.

"I know it sounds like I just didn't like the guy Ansel," he jumps ahead, reading me and probably this whole room right. "But it was just... he was so over the top that I did not understand how mom could just eat this all up. To her it was like she found this person after dad, that she did not think she'd ever find." I nodded.

Peter paused, looking away. "And I swear, I understand that she cannot just be alone. But, he was just trying too hard and he was condescending towards me, and all I could see was this guy that would say anything, do anything, and he'd done his research. Like as though he studied mom and then when he was sure that he could con his way in, he approached her. Yet he did it in a roundabout way," I jabs a finger onto the table.

"He made suggests seems like her idea, dropping hints until finally, mom was – he was just – no," he shook his head from side to side, lips pursed. I keep quiet and shift my gaze over to Naomi.

"Does your mother have a gift?"

Angela flicks her gaze over to me, while Peter does as well, questioning me when Naomi speaks to him. With a slight nod, I let him know she is safe.

"Mom can freeze water, or well liquids," Peter says.

"Your sisters and brothers, do they too have gifts?"

"Yes, but they only use it on the farm, never at school where he would have been able to see."

Cocking my head to the right, I think of what Peter is saying, leaping onto a new idea.

"Does Cheryl ever leave the property?" I ask Peter, resting back. Naomi said that the people like Berty will do anything they are asked. She hadn't gone into details, yet.

Peter frowns, then gives me a look that screams, 'you should know' and 'of course she doesn't.'

Naomi glances between Peter and I, finally deciding to keep her eyes on me fully. Sighing, I shake my head, overwhelmed. "Cheryl was a mess when I found her. The reason I placed her with my grandparents was that I didn't think she'd do well in Bend, or somewhere more populated. I thought small town, on a farm, wide-open spaces, private land would help her-"

"Wait, you think he started teaching at the school, planned to get close to mom, so that he could get close to Cheryl?" Peter asked his voice raising an octave. I look from Peter to Naomi, in question.

She in turn, shifted her gaze to Peter, "Does Cheryl ever leave the property?"

Peter snaps his jaw closed, grinding his teeth, as his eyes harden.

"Cheryl is – she's afraid of her own shadow. She doesn't go further than the barn, and even then, she only goes with grandma. They get fresh eggs and milk in the mornings. Together."