Thirty Three

What was life worth? No really? How does one answer that? Everyone says life is precious and meaningful and some other sappy happy nonsense. Everyone has a purpose in the world and there is only one of each person in the world, which makes each person unique and valuable. What does that even mean? How can ever single person on the planet, billions and billions of people, have a purpose? That doesn't even touch the unique part. According to statistics there are between 5 and 7 people on this planet that are almost exact look-alikes of each other, not including twins. Okay, so people aren't physically anything special and the odds of everyone having some super purpose are slim...did matter? Did it matter that no one was entirely special or unique? Did it make their life any less meaningful? Would their losses still not be felt by someone, somewhere? Despite the fear of oblivion, no one just disappears. No matter how much they want to. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. So while Rene may have tried to pretend ending of life was nothing to her, the decease of a life would never be just nothing.

The doors were solid in their sentence. They resealed the hiders within the gym like it had never happened, save the bullets holes and now runaways...it might not have. Rene stuttered forward, her legs spindly spiders moving in disjoint by some unknown brain. She was a terrible hero.

Rose blinked slowly up at her, eyes wide and anxious. The lights reflect in the small girl's rectangular lenses. There was a small scratch visible when Rene tilted her head. "Your new glasses."

A dark hand reached up and adjusted them. The shaking, bouncing push by her fingers seemed to make them more unbalanced then actually fixing them. "It's f-fine...I can still see."

Pain radiated in her chest and not just from the bullet wound. What had she done? These people were all getting punished because of her actions. Life at the asylum had never been easy...how much worse though had she made things by trying to be a one woman army of change. She wasn't an army. She was barely an arm right now. Her whole side became a penetrating numb as blood slid down her skin to skip across the ground. They were bright red spots of blood like stickers before they absorbed deep into the cement. Forever marking that Rene was here and perhaps here she would die.

No...she couldn't think like that.

Rene reached her stiff fingers out then slowly wrapped them into a tight fist, trapping within her palm the bits of her life that she could.

"Ehhm."

A swarm of faces met her as she turned towards the noise. She couldn't really tell where it had come from. They were all buzzing, turning into a nonsense of sound that made her feel like a person who just whacked down the hornet's hive. She was no queen. Rene was a walking disaster, nothing more than a worker bee with a broken wing that flies awkwardly in circles trying to be useful.

"I..."

SCREECH!

A heart skipped and thudded back more forcefully than before. A kick-start as it was punched by the sound. It began picking up speed, racing away to the finish in some unknown race. That sound, that screech, she knew it all too well.

SCREECH! SCREECH!

Another siren joined in the wail of death. Multiple fire alarms had been activated. A flickering and groan above the group, was the only warning before a stream of hard pelleting water rained down on them. The water was stained with rust, splattering their skin and clothing with what could be mistaken as dried blood with its brownish red tinge. Strobe lights flashed through the red, giving depth to the horror show. She was watching the world fall apart in seconds of broken motion. People shrieks joined the sirens, soon a lament that rose to overtake the halls. All around her patients were falling into the depths of their minds.