Twenty Eight

"Karo, you get your butt back out here! I know you can hear me so slither your scalely ass back off my arm and help us!" Rene fumed, violently shaking her arm.

"Not to burst your bubble Firecracker, but I don't think it works like that."

"Then how does it work, oh wise one? Oh wait, that's right you like to keep all your intel to yourself, like the freakin' fact that Scarlet can seduce people or that you are a fire-starter!" Rene voice had steadily climbed to an all-out scream of frustration.

"To be accurate..."

"That doesn't count!"

The cracking of shifting ice snapped both their attentions back to said person. Scarlet was a glistening, beautiful ice sculpture as she stood back up.

"I'm sorry, but why isn't she dead? It's not that I necessarily want her to die, it's just, that really isn't fair."

"Welcome to the world of freaky, Sparky." He chuckled.

"Fine if we are in the world of freaky, then where's my freaky? Karo move your tail you dumb reptile!" Rene went so far as to slam her arm into a nearby table. "Ouch! Bad idea." She cradled her arm which already had a bruise forming. She hoped it hurt Karo at least as much as when he bit her and turned back into a tattoo.

"Could have told you that."

Crack. Crunch. Scarlet stumbled like a puppet being jerked about. Seriously, how was that even close to being fair? Rene poised the sword at the ready, aiming at the female ice zombie. She wondered if Scarlet would shatter if she drove the blade through her still amazingly good-looking body. The girl was freezing from the inside out, yet somehow she managed to remain pretty. Rack up another point to the unfairness of life; then again she was some sort of mythical deer lady...still a rip-off. Rene coughed causing slight amounts of blood to coat her tongue. She spit it out, whipping her mouth with her hand. Michael's concerned eyes searched her face, but Rene remained focused on Scarlet. They didn't have time for anything else. She couldn't lose focus again. She was angry and her emotions swarmed about in her head little enraged bees buzzing their problems. She was angry at herself for the anxiety attack; it was ridiculous but the truth. Rene was furious at Miss Rachel for being a horrible psychiatrist, and person for that matter. Her soul raged at the asylum for all the crap and pain over the years. Her sense of loyalty burned against Scarlet for using Declan like that. The untrusting girl inside her was upset with Declan for being used. Her madness and logic, that craved balance and stability, screamed at Karo and Kai for abandoning her. Finally she was annoyed with Michael because, one he was Michael and two he had been holding information from her. It all combined to form a cold, hard, sharp anger that kept festering in the darkness. Her shoulder got colder pulsing in time to her slowly growing rage. She rolled her shoulder trying to ease the freezing tension. A resonating metal clang echoed behind her.

"Uh, I think you dropped something." Michael deadpanned.

One eye on Scarlet, Rene reached behind her feeling around until her fingers closed around another ice-cold hilt. She brought forward the twin to her sword. Now she had a set. Two ice swords to wield and wreak havoc with. That was good right? That was if one ignored the fact her tattoo basically just fell off...oh, reality what a cruel mistress it had become. Well, there was the freaky she had been demanding earlier. She really should have kept her mouth shut.

Flakes of ice dropped, twinkling to the ground, with each step Scarlet took. Rene tightened her grip on her, now pair of weapons, both of which had freezing properties in their crystals. Freezing abilities capable of turning Scarlet into that, with one only scratch well, technically a deep cut but not the point. The point was Rene was probably going to end up popsiclizing herself too. She was just gonna call that now. And unlike Scarlet, Rene doubted she would survive it, which was really too bad, because unlike Scarlet, Rene wouldn't make a pretty ice corpse. Scarlet sort of slipped and skated across the floor leaving streaks of water on the tiles. Probably the first time they had been cleaned in years. That was dangerous in itself; they should really get her a wet floor sign to drag behind her. Scarlet and her watery trail didn't make their way towards them. Instead, she went over to Kristy's blackened body.