Twenty

Rene spun using the momentum to ram her elbow deep into the person's soft tissue of their stomach. She grabbed their arm pulling them over her head and flipping them on to the ground. She sneered down at them before pausing. Great, just her luck.

"I think you broke him." A soft feminine voice worried.

She turned to see large brown eyes staring up at her. "Hey Rose. When did you start wearing glasses?"

"Just this week, they're a gift from my parents," Rose bobbed her head while peering around Rene at the prone body on the floor. "Are you sure he's alright?"

"Yeah, he'll be fine. If anything was actually broken he'd be screaming." She cocked her head at the girl, "So what brings you to my little slice of hell?"

Rose flushed, Rene sometimes forgot how young she was. It would be best to watch her tongue around Rose. Preserve what little innocence was left after surviving this place. Rose squeaked, "Seriously, he isn't moving. Should we call the nurses? I remember reading somewhere that people can faint from shock when they are injured."

Fainting was the body's response to intense levels of pain and stress, a fact Rene knew personally. She sighed before crouching down. Then again, she was pretty sure the idiot was too dense to actually get hurt seriously. She proceed to poke him in the face with her finger. "Hey fire-bug you dead?"

Michael groaned. "What kinda stupid nickname is that?"

Rose clasped her hands letting out an audible exhale of relief. Rene stood up stretching herself out. "An appropriate one. You start fires and your annoying like a bug. Plus sometimes I want to squash you like one. See very meaningful." Rene hummed while looking around again to make sure no one else was looking to get the drop on her. "You going to get up or take a power nap down there."

"Well, it is rather comfortable." Michael smirked putting his arms behind his head and laying out.

"I'm pretty I saw someone pee there last week." She replied bluntly.

Michael jumped up peering at the spot suspiciously. "I'm not sure if you're lying or not but I suppose it's best not to risk it." He smiled at her "By the way, where did you learn that whole flip thing?"

She waved her hand absentmindedly, "Video game. I don't remember what it was called but it was a popular one. Could always guarantee when I snuck out of where ever I had been lucky enough to be placed that I'd find it in an arcade. It really helped with my anger issues you know."

"Ah, to be young and easily influenced by the media. And here I was all pro-video games. I think I'm going to have to change my stance on their negative effects on youth." Michael shook his head sadly.

"Um..."Rose stuttered, "Aren't we getting sidetracked?"

"Yeah, you're right. Back to the most important point. Did you know it was me when you attacked?" Michael inquired to which Rene cocked her head but didn't say anything. Michael frowned, "You did, didn't you."

"So Rose," Rene questioned watching Michael deadpan out of the corner of her eye at her obvious avoidance "What are you doing with the delinquent here?"

Michael gruffed and grumbled about the jab but otherwise didn't jump in. Rene watched curiously at the small girl in front of her. She had started twirling her brown curls in her small fingers nervously and then twitching to adjust her new glasses. Back and forth, back and forth. Rene wasn't sure what was giving Rose such unease talking in general or the fact that it was Rene. People never really were her thing, but it did upset her to think she could be the cause of the girl's strife. She sighed. "Forget it. It's none of my business."